Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help booting into windows 8 safe mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 acg515

acg515

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

I was playing Star Wars the Old Republic, and I hit the 'windows' key. It caused my resolution to change to a frequency that's out of range of what my monitor can support. Now my computer boots into "Out of Range" as soon as the circles that blip around at startup go away. I am trying to boot into safe mode using command prompt having booted windows off of my disk.

I am trying to use the bcdedit commands to allow the F8 key to work again so that I can get into safe mode. However, none of them are working. I am starting out in a command prompt screen that looks kind of like this
Select Administrator: X:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

X:\Sources>

So far I have tried using these commands -
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

When I do these it says things like "The Boot Configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found."

I notice on all these videos of people doing this stuff that it begins with showing 
C:\Windows\System32 Is that what is messing me up, that I'm starting on X:? I haven't done this stuff in so long I have forgotten how to get into the System32 anyways.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

If you are booting from your disc, there is an option in Recovery that can get you into Safe Mode, or is there a reason you want or need to do it from a command prompt.

BTW: I don't know how to do it from a command prompt as I've never had any call to do it that way.

Lastly, if I remember correctly, the option for the Advanced Start up is on the third page of the Recovery area.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users