Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of E-mail Sending Ability in Outlook 2000

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 svenskenr

svenskenr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

I have Microsoft Outlook 2000 running under WIndows 7 Ultimate, SP1, (32-bit).

The machine is HP, Intel Pentium 4, 2.80GHz.

I know that Outlook 2000 is not the best choice for W7, but this is what the person installed on it who did the upgrade. (I upgraded in April because I had Windows XP SP3 and the support was ending, so I was concerned about virus vulnerability.) Until a couple of weeks ago, I was able to live with it.

Just two days ago, I engaged in a 2-hour online chat with my cable ISP because the Outlook was receiving messages fine, but would not send them because it said the message "rejected you as the sender."  This was peculiar because the successful reading of the server showed the passwords for all defined e-mail accounts were OK. At the end of the chat, we seemed to have achieved a fix to this.

Shortly after the chat ended, however, Outlook 2000 changed its behavior yet again, and now when I click "Send/Receive," it completely ignores the Outbox altogether and the tasks under "Details" do not even include any attempt at "Sending for..." any of the accounts.

I think something has infected it. Is there malware out there that has this effect, and is there a remedy? Or, is this a known side-effect of the incompatibility between Outlook 2000 and Windows 7?

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2014 - 02:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

If you are not tied to Outlook I'd recommend you try one of the other [free] email clients. I use and recommend Thunderbird. It's compatible with W7 and the newer OSs as you upgrade your system. Outlook is up to 2013 now and I doubt that they are doing much to support 2000

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Like Dick says, you've been left behind, but that aside, I'll tell you what I do for my brother who also uses Outlook for his mail since forever and also gets similar problems of not being able to send mail, so there are two possibilities that I can use. The first is the repair function in the Microsoft installation, and the other, is to uninstall it completely and re-install it, which involves saving all your PST files, or else you'll lose EVERYTHING.

So the question now is, do you have the installation disc?

Edited by rockysosua, 14 September 2014 - 04:45 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

Who is your ISP?

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Outlook express is garbage even Microsoft will tell you that. Download Microsoft live essentials and put your mind at ease.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

Also, what protocol are you using to send and receive email in Outlook? Are your email accounts set up as Exchange accounts, or are you using POP or IMAP?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:34 PM

Outlook express is garbage even Microsoft will tell you that. Download Microsoft live essentials and put your mind at ease.

The OP, svenskenr, has in NO WAY indicated that he/she is using Outlook EXPRESS.
Everything he/states is OUTLOOK.

Outlook and Outlook EXPRESS are 2 very different programs. One has nothing to do with the other.

Outlook EXPRESS was included in Windows '98 and Windows XP as a component of Windows.

OUTLOOK is a component of Microsoft Office and must be purchased.

Outlook EXPRESS is not compatible with Windows 7.

Please answer the question who is your ISP. It may give others who use that same ISP some ideas that can be tried in an effort to help you. If, for example, you say COMCAST, I in fact do have an idea I can run by you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 September 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

Outlook or outlook express whatever. If you want to get technical Outlook 2000 is not compatible with Windows 7 either. There are workarounds to get things working, but seriously why mess with a 14 year old software that runs like crap even after 3sp's? Just get Live mail client and uninstall the outlook office component problem solved. In this case it could be just that the mail server propertiers is not correct.

#9 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

(1) Yes, @Queen-Evie, the ISP is Comcast. (Looking forward to your idea.)  And you're right, it's Outlook, not Outlook Express. Although I had Outlook Express until I upgraded from XP. The only thing about it that I really didn't like was that when I saved files for archiving or backup, I could never figure out how to use Outlook Express to read them again. 

(2) @Sflatechguy: Inbound servers are POP3, outbound SMTP. (Which is probably redundant now that I've said Comcast is the ISP.)

(3) @rockysosua: No, I don't have the installation disk.

(4) @technonymous: I doubt that the mail server properties are incorrect. That was the subject of my online chat with Comcast. The associate there recommended the proper port settings - the others I had right anyway - and, as I said, at the conclusion of the chat things were working. That was why I was so aware of the change when Outlook stopped even trying to send anything.

But so far, no one seems to have said anything about there being malware that does this to Outlook. 

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

I doubt that the mail server properties are incorrect. That was the subject of my online chat with Comcast. The associate there recommended the proper port settings - the others I had right anyway - and, as I said, at the conclusion of the chat things were working. That was why I was so aware of the change when Outlook stopped even trying to send anything.

Are these the settings Comcast gave you? Since the earliest Outlook setup I could find is for Outlook 2007, you might have to root around for some of the settings.

Incoming server mail.comcast.net

Outgoing server smtp.comcast.net

Incoming server (POP3) should be 995. Check the The server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

Outgoing server (SMTP) should be 587. Select encryption type SSL

If you have migrated your email account(s) to IMAP Incoming server imap.comcast.net
Port 143 (you would have had to contact Comcast in order to migrate to imap)

Outgoing Server tab. Make sure that My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is selected. Use same settings as my incoming mail server should also be selected.

Make sure you click OK, NEXT, FINISH or whatever it says at the appropriate points.

When done, see if mail will send. IF NOT try changing the outgoing SMTP port to 465 and try again.

When checking your settings make sure everything is spelled correctly. Look at spacing for everything you manually entered-emailaddress@comcast.net as opposed to emailaddress@comcast. net Look to make sure you have a dot instead of , which is an easy mistake to make.

If all settings are correct but mail will still not send and you have mail in the outbox waiting to send

DISCONNECT from the internet. For this you should not have an internet connection. You will have to disable your WiFi connection if you connect wirelessly or if wired to modem or router unplug the cable going to the modem or router.

After disconnecting open Outlook. Then open the Outbox.

Delete everything in it.

Reconnect to the internet and see if send will work.

What I don't know is whether the deleted outbox mail will go to your deleted mail folder. If you have to get those mails out, you could create a folder and move them to it. After reconnecting to the internet go to that folder, open the mail, hit send.

Let us know how if it works for you.

If not, are you getting any error messages? If so, post the entire error. If there are any email names in the error xxx out the part before @comcast.net/wherever.com/net/etc.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#11 svenskenr

svenskenr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:04 PM

Well, thank you for your suggestions, folks.

The sending capability appears to have recovered without my intervention - on three of the four e-mail addresses we have defined on our Comcast account.

The fourth is still balking on connecting to the outgoing server - whether I try 995 or 587. But it receives OK, and we have not really been using it to send recently anyway. (The address was too hard for people to remember and more awkward to spell out for them over the phone.) Maybe it will recover on its own as well.

Again, thank you, and this thread is being closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users