Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting items in download folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

This is probably something that is simple to answer but in case I screw it up, there could be large consequences so I thought I would check.

I've noticed that everything I've ever downloaded goes into the download folder and it is massing up a lot of storage space. The question is, if I don't need to re-download any of these items, can I delete them without causing system problems?  There is a lot of garbage in there and items I have no idea about but they are taking up a lot of storage space. I would think that anything that has already been downloaded is either installed or has been saved to a file and that anything I delete from the download file wouldn't affect my system operation but thought I would check.

Thanks,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Usually you can just delete those items such as installers for programs. But program installers shouldn't take up

a lot of space. Maybe you have other files there such as music and videos that you either copied to a different folder or

haven't moved or copied to a different folder. When in doubt attempt a search using whatever those file names offer.

Often right clicking on a file and choosing properties will give enough info to help you decide whether to keep or not.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

I have saved all files that I need that have been downloaded.  However, I see some 10 MB files and multiple MB files sitting there. If I had already downloaded them for use, unless I need to re-download them, I don't see that they serve any purpose sitting in my download folder.

My concern, however, is if I start deleting the files in my download folder for items that have already been downloaded, will my system be compromised in any way?

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

Unfortunately, this vendor doesn't allow users to pull slides from the presentations. It's probably a security issue because they don't want sensitive information to be disseminated. However, for me, it's a complete pain in the butt! I had to copy the data on each slide into an email and waste a lot of time. I'm not sure if it's the same problem with Go To Meeting but if the latter allows users to copy slides, I'm going to advise my company to go with them instead.

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

Somehow my above post went to this forum and should have gone to the video forum as it's a separate issue. Addressing this thread, my concern is simply that I see downloads piling up and a lot of memory is involved. Every download I've needed to save has been saved and it appears that once I have downloaded a file, I no longer need the original download file but these are piling up.

So I had assumed that unless I need to download one of these files again, I could delete them with no harm to my system.  Before I do so, I thought I would check if that is safe and that's why I posted.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

Delete them. No harm will be done by deleting the files. Deleting them will have no effect on the program if it is installed on your computer.

The problem with keeping the installer in Downloads "just in case I need it again in the future" is that by the time you need it again there may be a NEWER version of the program. For many programs it is critical to get updated versions.

I delete downloaded program installers on a regular basis. So far doing so has had no negative impact.

#7 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

That's what I had thought but figured it was wise to double check with those who have experience with this.

Thanks,

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users