Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connections

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

I just upgraded my Macbook Air1.1 to Snow Leopard 10.6.3. All went well except for the internet connection. Went to Network, does not list

any Wifi , "no service in this location". Went to Internet sharing, got this message "Cannot start Internet sharing
, there are no ports available. Choose a different connection to share or turn on another port using Network preferences." Have no idea

how to do either.Any help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

. Out of desperation I tried a wifi network card I used in a pc, worked, but when I reboot I have to reset the card. Is there a network card deigned to work on Macs?  

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Resolving Stubborn Wi-Fi Connection Problems in Mac OS X

What model is the wireless router?

Have you tried to connect to any other open Wi-Fi locations?

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

Its a Verizon, looks like Actiontec, works on two other Pc's and a Mac Mini 

#5 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Sounds like your AirPort card might have gone bad, but if it happened after an OS install, I'd suspect a corrupt OS.

I'd say you are better off backing up and doing a reformat and reinstall of Snow Leopard...if that fails then I'd say it is indeed the AirPort card and likely you would need to use the ethernet adapter or another wireless adapter.

-Austin-

Specializing in Windows OS-level troubleshooting, repair, and support

"They might call it the cloud but it is, in fact, just someone else’s computer.”  - Mark Russinovich

#6 staygold512

staygold512

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

I agree with techgeek88 it sounds like it's probably OS related if the trigger was a reinstall. You could test this by running a loopback ping   127.0.0.1 in network utility. if you get 10 packets sent and 10 received with 0% packet loss your airport card can send and receive data, then  you could move on to http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4628 

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

I agree with techgeek88 it sounds like it's probably OS related if the trigger was a reinstall. You could test this by running a loopback ping   127.0.0.1 in network utility. if you get 10 packets sent and 10 received with 0% packet loss your airport card can send and receive data, then  you could move on to http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4628 

Thanks very much.  Did as you instructed, all 10 ping were received., Now I am not sure how to continue, I have tried to restore to factory by rebooting and holding the  "r" , seem that  it needs a wifi connection for this to work. I have a newer disk , a 10.6 , but I need to format the HD for this to properly install to correct the corrupt OS? I am not familiar with formatting, what is the procedure? 

#8 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks very much.  Did as you instructed, all 10 ping were received., Now I am not sure how to continue, I have tried to restore to factory by rebooting and holding the  "r" , seem that  it needs a wifi connection for this to work. I have a newer disk , a 10.6 , but I need to format the HD for this to properly install to correct the corrupt OS? I am not familiar with formatting, what is the procedure? 

You can follow Apple's instructions here if you want to proceed with formatting with your disk. :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910

Edited by techgeek88, 07 October 2014 - 06:03 PM.

-Austin-

Specializing in Windows OS-level troubleshooting, repair, and support

"They might call it the cloud but it is, in fact, just someone else’s computer.”  - Mark Russinovich

#9 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the help at least now I can eliminate the Airport card, will try your link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users