Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is a COM Surrogate?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hatts

Hatts

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

Yesterday, I bought an HP 1510 all-in-one printer. It printed out an alignment sheet for me, and it's lovely, so I know it's working. However, it simply will NOT work with my laptop. I just get bubbles up that say that there is no printer connected. I made it my default printer, erased all trace of my old printer and even re-installed the new one. No joy. Today I got a new message up.  "COM Surrogate has stopped working. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available."

Windows did absolutely nothing, of course, I don't have to tell you that, do I?  What can I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

See if this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/283668-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hatts

Hatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for a darn good try, Arachibutyrophobia,  My problem seems to be when I want to print pictures with the new printer. Ordinary viewing just on the laptop is no problem at all. The gentleman on the site you gave me doesn't seem to be able to view images on his computer: Nothing to do with his printer.  I have a feeling that this will be one for my friendly neighbourhood wizard. *sigh*

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Worth a shot since you have done the obvious thing and re-installed your printer software - have a look at the HP forums. When you get to the web page in this link type in 'COM surrogate' and you will see about a dozen queries / topics on the subject.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Hatts

Hatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:08 AM

I want to thank everyone who tried to help.  The expert who came yesterday tells me that my copy of Windows is corrupted and needs to be re-installed. Meanwhile I'm up and away with an old laptop running XP which works perfectly well with my printer, and, since I will not need to be online for my printing, will be safe to use.  Thanks again, everyone, for trying. Job done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users