Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Detect Hard Drive but Windows does not.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darkwatch418

Darkwatch418

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer,

I'm having an issue with my hard drive I guess which seems I can't get to work. Basically what is going on is this; I power on my computer and it starts normally, until it reaches the Loading Windows screen with the windows logo, after that I wait around 10 minutes+ and it just restarts on it's own.

So what I thought to do is re-install windows which didn't seem to work neither. The installation process starts normally until I reach to the partition selection part. Nothing shows up there, here is an image of the problem: http://i.imgur.com/Q9IPPK5.jpg . I tried some tutorials online but they don't seem to work, here is something I got on some forums and here are the results: http://i.imgur.com/MSEqMvg.jpg

So I don't really know what to do, I've also read some stuff about some settings located at BIOS but I can't find them. Here are some more screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/fYSEX

My computer specs: http://bit.ly/1y1QhN4 <- Redirects to HP website (Compaq Presario SR5611IT)

If I need to provide any more details or so, just ask me and I'll try to find them :D

Thank's a lot :)

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2014 - 09:12 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 half_slice7

half_slice7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

Hi

Does the computer yet still boot to the windows logo? If so it's really weird...

Have you tried to reset the bios to the factory default settings?

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

- Mike Tyson 

#3 Darkwatch418

Darkwatch418
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hello and thanks for your reply.

Yes and yes indeed it is weird. Yup I have tried to reset them to it's factory settings and still nothing going on.

#4 half_slice7

half_slice7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

Before the computer restarts, it's causing a BSOD. You have to prevent it from reboot.

Start your computer and press F8. Then select "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

What kind of BSOD did you get?

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

- Mike Tyson 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Pressing F8 usually will open the Advanced Boot Options, if this does open click on Last known good configuration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Is all your data backed up?

In other words, I'd like to confirm that when you set out to make a fresh install of Windows, you were resigned to the fact that it would wipe out all existing data.

If so, then there are some things you can try (depending on your resources) to make that hard drive function again.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 Darkwatch418

Darkwatch418
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Before the computer restarts, it's causing a BSOD. You have to prevent it from reboot.

Start your computer and press F8. Then select "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

What kind of BSOD did you get?

I never got a BSOD it just flashes or something like that and reboots, Ok I'll try that and I'll post it here if it works.

Pressing F8 usually will open the Advanced Boot Options, if this does open click on Last known good configuration.

Yes I have tried that option and nothing good from that.

Is all your data backed up?

In other words, I'd like to confirm that when you set out to make a fresh install of Windows, you were resigned to the fact that it would wipe out all existing data.

If so, then there are some things you can try (depending on your resources) to make that hard drive function again.

I store my data on CD's and DVD's and they are mostly just projects. Well I'd like to know those ways :D

Thanks in advance.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

At this time you don't know if this was the hdd or a problem with the operating system.

I would suggest downloading a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the entire hdd.  This will leave you with a blank hdd to start with.

If you would like to have a tutorial for installing Windows 7, you can find a good one a Windows Seven Forums.

It sounds like you already have a installation disc for Windows 7.  If this is not the case, let me know the version of your Windows  Home premium, Pro. etc., and whether it's a 32-bit or 64-bit version and I will provide you with a link to a site where you can down load a ISO image which you can burn to a disc to create a bootable installation disc.

After you have created the disc and have the tutorial you should be able to install the operating system, as long as there isn't a problem with the hdd.  If there is a problem with the hdd you are going to need all of this to install the operating system anyway.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

I store my data on CD's and DVD's and they are mostly just projects. Well I'd like to know those ways :D

That's great.

The easiest way to make your HDD "visible" to your laptop is to hook it up to another machine, either by hot plugging it into a PC or by using a USB to SATA adapter.

Do you have or can you get either of those resources?

If so, I'll walk you through the procedure.

PS: Bear in mind that your hard drive might be toast, so it could happen that we'll find out along the way that you'll need a new one, but for now, we'll assume it's still good.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 Darkwatch418

Darkwatch418
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:06 AM

Thanks and sorry for not replying fast. Btw my computer is not a LapTop it is a PC. And I was pressing F8 when it was booting but I wasn't getting it so I was also pressing f5 and f2 and I got some diagnostic tools and got the check fill up to 70% and then it failed giving the error BIOHD-8. Thanks in advance. If I have anyway to fix it pr should I buy a new one please guide me.
Ps: I'm sorry if there are any grammatic mistakes I'm on a phone.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

BIOHD-8 indicates that the drive is failing or about to fail. You need to replace the hard drive. You can confirm it by using Seatools for DOS and run a test on the drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

If Seatools for DOS does not detect your drive, you should change AHCI mode to IDE mode in BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users