Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Question?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sogin

Sogin

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

Hey guys, already made a post before about my CPU issues..Going to 100% in every single game regardless. I wanted to ask something, does setting your CPU in MSconfig do anything? And if it does, am I supposed to include the Logical cores or just the psychical cores in there? I also wanted opinions on something if possible..Dell had sent a Tech for my Comp..And he tells me asking this Comp to game at 60FPS is asking a lot... i7-4770 8GB ram..Nvidia GTX 760.. Computer is the XPS 8700. Am I special here or did that make absolutely 0 sense? Thanks in advance. Lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

Am I special here or did that make absolutely 0 sense?

I think he assumed it had the stock video card of a GT 720. Seeing as that is the stock for all XPS 8700 models (some have a optional GTX 740 stock upgrade option). Did you upgrade the GPU to the GTX 760 and neglect to tell the tech? If so then that statement is pretty acurate, with current games anyway.

As for why 100%.... could be a million differnt things- Overheating, virus protection thinking the game is a virus and promtly running scans, bad drivers, outdated version of the game, badly optimized game in general, opend multiple instances of the game by accident, ECT the list goes on.

For MSconfig, it refers to the number of threads/logical cores enabled. The max number you're able to pick should be the max your CPU is set to do- for the 4770 that's 8.

Edited by SEANIA, 14 September 2014 - 10:26 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Sogin

Sogin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info, sorry for the late reply, as well as bumping this topic up. Lol Just been busy. But, yeah. I did not tell him, but he replaced pieces of the Computer and he saw it. An OC GTX 760 looks a heck of a lot different than a GTX 645(Which is what mine came with a year ago.) Thing is huge..the part that confused me like heck was I get over 200 Frames in like RE6. So why the game has issues and stutters in 60FPS is beyond me.  Virus protection is Microsoft Security Essentials... Before that AVG. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I think it's a defective CPU.

Edited by Sogin, 16 September 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

Like I said, could be a million things. That being said the CPU is the last thing that would go bad.

The most obvious thing I'd choose would be that it's overheating. Seeing as 50% of whenever anyone asks me why their computer is running slow/weird, that's the problem. (The others being improper/not done matiness, then the powersupply, then the GPU, then the HDD, and then everything else.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________

If you want you can test this by running a CPU stressing program while having a tempature monitoiring program open.

Sutch as~

Core Temp for tempature

IntelBurnTest or Prime95 for stressing (granted IntelBurnTest runs the CPU at 110% and up to 22°C higher.)

Running them for ten minutes (20 for prime) should be enough to see if it over heats. The max temp for the 4770 is 98°C, the max tempature Intel reccomends is 72.72°C, and anything over 80°C will proably damage it over time. IntelBurnTest also spits out a Gflops number, and we can compare this number to other 4770's that have run the test to see if it's up to par in performance.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Still, could be one of a million things. None of us could really know for sure unless we could physically look at it and test all the parts for a few days OR tell you to run millions of differnt tests for the next couple of weeks that you may-or-may-not be computer savy enough to even do your self- so that's never going to happen.

I wouldn't even bother with running the tempature test and just make sure the heatsink inside the computer isn't clogged with dust, and if it is,  just use canned air to blow it out without taking it off. If it's not that, then everything else it could be isn't worth your time to ask you to check.

Edited by SEANIA, 17 September 2014 - 02:00 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users