Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find "Custom XML Parts" in a Word (2007) document

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

I just ran the Document Inspector on a Word 2007 document. It reported that "Custom XML data was found". I don;t know what that is and I never intentionally created any. But before I allow the Inspector to remove it, I'd like to see what it is.

How can I find it?

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:45 AM

Hope that helps you out. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/remove-hidden-data-and-personal-information-from-office-documents-HA010037593.aspx#BM1

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:50 AM

My search found several articles similar to that one, but none of them, including that one, tell me what the Custom XML date is, what it does, where it is, or how I can see it. I am reluctant to remove something that I can;t see and don't know whether I need it.

Did I miss something in that article?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:34 AM

To my understanding the inspector should find it all and you can remove whatever it finds. As a side note It's good to use because if you share documents to someone you want to strip your personal information. Kind of like stripping GPS information out of a picture taken by a phone. Same concept. Generally it's safe to do delete it as nothing of importance would be in the document, unless some one specifically hidden text. XML data can be anything formatting information etc. Some DOCX might have things in it that a regular DOC can't handle it. It could be there was once a XML plugin installed when the document was made that your word 2007 isn't able to show because it doesn't have the plugin installed. It could be frames, columns, rows etc. Inspector may not reveal it, but allow you to strip it out of the document anyways. Word 2010 or 2012 probably wouldn't have this issue.

How do I find and remove hidden data and personal information in my Office documents?

You can use the Document Inspector to find and remove hidden data and personal information in Office documents that were created in Office Word 2007, Office Excel 2007, Office PowerPoint 2007, and earlier versions of these Office programs. It is a good idea to use the Document Inspector before you share an electronic copy of your Office document, such as in an e-mail attachment.

1. Open the Office document that you want to inspect for hidden data or personal information.
  2. Click the Microsoft Office ButtonZA010077102.gif, click Save As, and then type a name in the File name box to save a copy of your original document.

Important   It is a good idea to use the Document Inspector on a copy of your original document because it is not always possible to restore the data that the Document Inspector removes.

1. In the copy of your original document, click the Microsoft Office ButtonZA010077102.gif, point to Prepare, and then click Inspect Document.
  2. In the Document Inspector dialog box, select the check boxes to choose the types of hidden content that you want to be inspected. For more information about the individual Inspectors, see What information can the Document Inspector find and remove?
  3. Click Inspect.
  4. Review the results of the inspection in the Document Inspector dialog box.
  5. Click Remove All next to the inspection results for the types of hidden content that you want to remove from your document.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

I guess I am not making myself clear. Let me try again: How can I see for myself what the XML Data in this document is and what it is used for -- not in general, but in this document?

I know how to use the Inspector and I know that it will remove the XML data. I have used the Inspector hundreds of times to remove personal information for just the reasons you list. This is the first time it has ever reported XML Data. Before I let the Inspector delete the XML Data, I want to see what it is and understand what is it. How do I do that?

For any of the other types of data that the Inspector finds, comments, personal information, headers, hidden text, I can find it in the document and inspect it myself, before deleting it. I want to do that for the XML Data.

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 14 September 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#6 MattFletcher

MattFletcher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

Rename the document suffix from .docx to .zip. Now just use any standard unzipping software to extract all the files. You'll find a custom.xml file under docProps which contains the xml in readable form.

Matt

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

With web developer open and inspector tab selected, click on the upper left corner square with a arrow. Then you can hover your mouse over elements in the website. When you hover your mouse over the element it highlites the beginning and ending of the code in the html body that generates it.

Another cool addon for Firefox is getting Ad Block Plus. ABP adds a icon into inspector for you to block certain elements. If you get tired of a page showing an advertisement you can block it from viewing and import it into ABP with ease. You simply click on the box in corner highlite the elment you don't want to see and "click" on it. The html code will jump around loading the exact code in the body below. Then you click on the ABP button and the code will automatically be imported and you simply click the add button.

Edited by technonymous, 02 May 2015 - 10:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users