Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What brand of thermal paste should i get?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ksinley

ksinley

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

I am changing motherboards, and there is a bracket where the intel core chip sits for the heat sink to screw in.

First I want to know how to properly take off the bracket from the old motherboard properly. 

Second, which thermal paste should i get?  My computer is basically a 7 year old gaming pc,  its an intel quad cored processor 2.33 ghz, pentium 2 i think. its for a socket 775,  I dont mind much about price but i dont plan on spending a fortune on just simple paste.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

It would take lot of explaining of process so I have gathered some links to help. Generally it's best to use Acrtic Silver thermal compound as it has silver particles in the paste to help deliver maximum thermal transfer. You can buy it off line or at local computer store outlet for around 5 dollars a tube. Once the heatsink and cpu is out you need to clean them both with Alcohol and Q-tips and dry them before applying new thermal compound. I usually apply a thin coat using rubber glove and index finger just over the cpu only. The installation and removal varies if you have a after market heatsink. There may be plastic lock studs or screws so I will include an example of both. Pay close attention to the installation of the cpu to socket. Pin 1 is the gold triangle on the corner edge of the cpu & has to match the pin 1 of the socket. There is a marker on the socket as well. Also pay close attention to the install/removal of the heatsink and why the lock studs need to be reset again for reinstall. You have to be careful here as it's very easy to do something wrong resulting in something breaking.

Cpu Spec sheet.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Quad%20Q9650%20AT80569PJ080N%20%28BX80569Q9650%20-%20BXC80569Q9650%29.html

Install and removal of cpu and heatsink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKPsS8GX3I

After market heatsink/fan kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_QVWBm4CI4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users