Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I bought a new pc from dell

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ralph4

ralph4

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

as the topic says for it's self im looking for some advice on this pc mainly. i just recently ordered this pc and right now its being built by dell. http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd?oc=dpcwxy01s&model_id=alienware-x51-r2

the main question is did i make a smart move for a gaming pc or is this something i'll more than likely have regrets about buying? i mainly ask this question because well lets just say that once i get this pc from dell im just dying to take it for a spin when it comes to gaming.

i know what some of you guys might say yeah your a little short in the ram department but don't worry i got that covered because i plan to upgrade the ram 16 GB's and i'll be putting the ram in my self.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

Ultimately it all depends on your budget and performance costs money. Generally going from i3 to i5 and i7 the prices double and triple in prices. That goes for all hardware. There are video cards that cost as much as your Dell. Looking at the specs at your link I think the max is 8Gb. Going to these vendors you also get proprietary hardware. Researching and reading reviews goes a long ways to help determine if you're buying a lemon or just wasting money.

#3 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

well the main question that im asking is if anyone here has actually had one of those pc's.and the max ram that the pc can be expanded to is 16 GB of ram but you have to install your self.

i guess the question im asking is how well is thing going to do in performance when it comes to gaming or just basic everyday use.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

I don't have one but you can get an idea of how it will perform from it's components.

The Core i3 4150 processor is a good solid choice for an everyday desktop.  It's dual core processor with hyper-threading.  The i3 is not bad for games either IMO.  However if I was putting together a PC in that price range, I'd have probably gone with an AMD FX 6/8 core processor for the value factor.

The GTX 745 video card is a bit weak for a dedicated gaming PC, to be honest.  It does depend what resolution you want to play at, and the games themselves, but I think it will struggle with newer games in 1080p.  It's an OEM only card related to the GTX 750 but with more shader units disabled and slower DDR3 memory.  It's not bad, but I suspect on some games you will have to turn the detail down to get good frame rates.  4Gb video memory on a card like that is pointless.  A GTX 750 Ti 2Gb would have been a much better choice (I realise it's not in Dell's option list) or the R9-270 which is an available upgrade would be a significant improvement, having about double the performance of the GTX 745.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 September 2014 - 03:19 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

I don't have one but you can get an idea of how it will perform from it's components.

The Core i3 4150 processor is a good solid choice for an everyday desktop.  It's dual core processor with hyper-threading.  The i3 is not bad for games either IMO.  However if I was putting together a PC in that price range, I'd have probably gone with an AMD FX 6/8 core processor for the value factor.

The GTX 745 video card is a bit weak for a dedicated gaming PC, to be honest.  It does depend what resolution you want to play at, and the games themselves, but I think it will struggle with newer games in 1080p.  It's an OEM only card related to the GTX 750 but with more shader units disabled and slower DDR3 memory.  It's not bad, but I suspect on some games you will have to turn the detail down to get good frame rates.  4Gb video memory on a card like that is pointless.  A GTX 750 Ti 2Gb would have been a much better choice (I realise it's not in Dell's option list) or the R9-270 which is an available upgrade would be a significant improvement, having about double the performance of the GTX 745.

i'll admit that i did do research on that card and yeah it can play a lot of games on ultra or max with no problem with a lower frame rate.but im not gonna be pushing to hard for games on it and even if i did the best game i would want to download and play would be planetside 2.that being said i will add 2 8 GB ram chips to the system shortly after i get it.

I could use some help though.i know the model of the pc is an x51 r2 and im wondering if i can find the exact same ram for a lot less than 115.00$ per stick of ram?i can understand 70$ or even 80$ but not 115.00$ i mean to be honest with you 115.00 per stick is a pretty good rip off if you buy it straight from dell.

if anyone can tell me where i can find the same memory for less $$$$ than it would be very helpful.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

According to the specs it takes 240pin DDR3 which you can buy from any computer supplier.  You'd have to remove the two DIMMs already installed (only 2 slots).

This gives an idea of the prices available on dual channel 16Gb kits - http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/memory/#Z=16384002&t=11&sort=a10&qq=1

If you use some manufacturers memory scanners they offer a guarantee of compatibility (like Crucial.com)

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Yes I think at least eventually you will have regrets, when you try to upgrade it yourself and things don't fit in it.

#8 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

I personally do not like alienware do to the fact that you pay a lot extra just for that logo and brand. But as you've already bought it not a ton you can do but enjoy it! 

#9 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

well i'll admit im a cheap skate and i basically bought the cheapest one they had at 699.99$

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

Well as far as gaming goes it all depends on CPU power and the video card. So as long as you can upgrade those in the future you're fine. However, with these customized vendor machines and their mini atx boxes, you can get stuck in a situation with the Motherboard or PSU going out and DELL alienware is the only go to place to get it. I won't lie, many years ago I had to gut a Dell box of all it's hardware to get it into a real ATX box that I could do just that, get a real power supply. lol

Edited by technonymous, 23 September 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#11 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:06 AM

i'm sort of surprised that alienware would offer a PC with such mediocre specs... I know that they are now owned and operated by Dell, but it seems - at least to me - that the whole reason anybody shelled out the extra dough to get an alienware was, at least in part, to acquire the sort of PC that the proud owner would want to show off... I don't just mean the cool LEDs or weird venting system (do they still use that?), but the actual performance. the name alienware used to be synonymous with over-priced gimmicky gaming PCs; now alienware is another word for dell's apparent solution to the warehouses filled with all of the Dell PCs that failed their final quality check before being shipped out... yank out the guts, stuff 'em in kewl box with all kinds of distracting lights and crap, slap on an alienware sticker and voila! you have to give them some credit; the whole idea is (besides depressing as hell) more than a little brilliant....

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#12 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:18 AM

At least you didn't buy the Alienware laptops, they have a serious case of malfunctioning and faulty parts. For 700 dollars, it's not too bad; however, as mentioned before, that GPU is a little weak, would have preferred a GTX750 or even GTX760. 

Either way, take it for a spin, and if it's bad, return it, and come back for your own fresh build. I've heard a lot of bad things about Alienware, but I've never had any of their products before.

mYIGVc5.png

#13 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

well lets face it im hoping to enjoy the witcher 3 when it comes out and it probably won't ask for anything bigger than a gtx 660 or 460 because the best card you can get is a 790 gtx without going to titan.

#14 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

The GTX790 isn't out, and the most powerful gaming card at the moment is the GTX980, and possibly later the 980 Ti. The Titan Z is more of a workstation card.

mYIGVc5.png

#15 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

well trust me this x51 r2 that i bought from dell won't be a permanent pc because i'll be replacing it with a main gear pc and that pc will run a gtx 980 TI if its out by the time im ready to buy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users