Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update just spins & won't install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Retorick

Retorick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

I have Windows 8 on my laptop and today I had a notification of an update when I started to power down. I set the computer aside and when I came back hours later the screen lit up when I touched the mouse and it read: Keep you PC plugged in until this is done. Installing update 1 of 1...  I thought that if I turned it off and back on that maybe it would restart, but it went back to the spinning dots and same message. Now it is many hours later and it is still spinning with the same note. Any ideas on how to get the update pushed through?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Welcome,

I'd shut down, take a break, reboot and then go Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Update -> check for updates and follow the prompts to let it start fresh and get everything in order

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Retorick

Retorick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for your help & suggestion.

I had let it run all night and my daughter was using it this morning. She said it was off and when she turned it on it came right up, so my guess is that the update finally went through on its own and turned the computer off. I don't ever remember having an update take 10+ hours before.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Most unusual. About the only thing that might cause that sort of lag is poor Internet speed or problems with an ISP server.

Glad to hear all is well

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users