just today i set up a computer i got the day prior. everything was fine and then once i plugged in a usb extension cord to my usb powered speakers, then it said there was a power surge. all other usb ports work perfectly fine except the one i used the extension cord on. i then used the extension cord on the front of the desktop and had no problem whatsoever except that totally negated the point of why i got the cord.the devices (i tried both printer and speakers) are totally fine.. they worked in the other ports. i got chat support through my warranty and it was determined that the motherboard needs to be replaced. so just so i know in the future and better understand.. did this mean there was a faulty connection to begin with or did the cord cause it? to note, i had the mouse, keyboard, and router connected to the other 3 usb ports in the back of the desktop. the cord i used was this one:
before i bought the cord, i called the store and told them what i was looking for to make sure i had the right type of extension cable and that's the one they said would work. i also have ordered extra cables from amazon (amazon brand) for other devices that i might need an extension for. so this is just an informational question.. i'm just waiting on the call to set up the appointment. thank god for warranties.