Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about motherboard+ dead usb port

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lady4548

lady4548

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

hello,

just today i set up a computer i got the day prior. everything was fine and then once i plugged in a usb extension cord to my usb powered speakers, then it said there was a power surge. all other usb ports work perfectly fine except the one i used the extension cord on. i then used the extension cord on the front of the desktop and had no problem whatsoever except that totally negated the point of why i got the cord.the devices (i tried both printer and speakers) are totally fine.. they worked in the other ports. i got chat support through my warranty and it was determined that the motherboard needs to be replaced. so just so i know in the future and better understand.. did this mean there was a faulty connection to begin with or did the cord cause it? to note, i had the mouse, keyboard, and router connected to the other 3 usb ports in the back of the desktop. the cord i used was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Extension-Cable-10-Feet/dp/B00001ZWXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410657049&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin+10+ft+usb+extension

before i bought the cord, i called the store and told them what i was looking for to make sure i had the right type of extension cable and that's the one they said would work. i also have ordered extra cables from amazon (amazon brand) for other devices that i might need an extension for. so this is just an informational question.. i'm just waiting on the call to set up the appointment. thank god for warranties.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TCCTech

TCCTech

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

In my opinion it could be a number of things that could cause a short like you experienced. Faulty USB ports for one are quite common, the next gen USB 3.0 ports are suppose to fix alot of the issues that have plagued USB ports since they were created. A Faulty Capacitor on your motherboard, a voltage regulator, a resistor or any number of bad components could cause the issue. One thing I always tell my customers when it comes to USB ports make sure you always insert or remove a usb device perfectly straight it is quite easy to accidently short a USB port as the 4-5 pin contacts inside carry both Power and Data and are less then 0.5 millimeters from each other.

The new USB 3.0 port coming out, fixes the issue with which way to plug in a USB device as with the new port very much like the new APPLE Iphone 5 port it can be inserted either way, USB 1.0 and 2.0 have had many many issues with devices being plugged in the wrong way.

Hope that answers your question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users