Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with new version of Roguekiller

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

I was running Roguekiller and was told that I need to get a newer version.

However, both Firefox and Chome deem the connection to Adlice (www.adlice.com/softwares/roguekiller/) untrusted or unsafe (not private). I thought Roguekiller is a legit program developed by legit people. What's going on? Any suggestion?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Roguekiller is a legit program and you can download it from here.

Most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by experts/Security Colleagues at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download. Unfortunately, many of these tools are repeatedly falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. That sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software.

Rest assured our Security Colleagues are trustworthy and all the programs hosted for downloading here at BleepingComputer are malware-free and perfectly safe to use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification. One follow-up issue, as I am not sure if I should be concerned about the following situation -

(a) now I seem to be able to access www.adlice.com through either Firefox or Chrome with no problems. (so still no idea why the access was NOT accepted by either browser a while ago)

(B) but if I re-ran the older version of RogueKiller and got a prompt to download the latest version, the link to adlice is still rejected by Firefox (default browser).

Any advice? Thank you. 

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

http://www.adlice.com/softwares/ << This opens very quickly with my F/fox and Internet Explorer.

Your Google Chrome may be the problem ?? I find it is usually the most vulnerable to problems (just look in our Malware areas).

Edited by noknojon, 13 September 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

If you need individual assistance with a possible malware infection, you can start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

#6 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

was really just hoping there might be some easier answer to my observation and am not expecting (who knows) that I am infected.

Will of course continue to monitor my laptop and if there should be any issue, I will post a new question in the right group. Thank you for the help.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

RogueKiller scans running processes and kills those which are malicious in a manner similar to Rkill. RogueKiller will clean the running processes before being killed, and on demand will clean the registry in order to make a faster and safer disinfection when using other security removal tools.

Since you were trying to download it...I figured you were dealing with malware issues.

In any event...you're welcome.

#8 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hello,

Your Google Chrome may be the problem ?? I find it is usually the most vulnerable to problems (just look in our Malware areas).

Correlation does not equate to causation, so I do not believe claiming Chrome to be the more vulnerable of the three browsers accurate at all. 

Both Chrome and Internet Explorer have always been proactive in isolating themselves from the rest the OS, with Firefox failing to do the same. One exploit in Firefox is enough to compromise the entire system, whereas exploits in Chrome or IE usually require a more complex combination in order to break out of the isolation created by the browser.

Posted Image

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

However, in this topic seraphin is indicating that both Firefox and Chrome deem the connection to adlice.com/softwares/roguekiller as an untrusted or unsafe site which is a different issue than the vulnerable browser debate...a topic for a separate discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users