Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Son's computer cannot connect to his homepage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peanutsnana

peanutsnana

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

I am seriously hoping I am posting in the right area this time.  This is the 3rd time I have tried to get help on this.  On fellow tried to help and HE was told that it wasn't the right spot. So I posted it again where I thought I was supposed to.  I was then sent a message that I was to start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum.  I typed Malware Removal Forum and it brought me here.

default_large.png

•  
  • Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
    • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

My son has an HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC. 64-bit operating system. Windows 7 HomePremium. He has been fighting with it for a couple weeks, not being able to connect to his homepage. (Yahoo.com)  He has had Malwarebytes on his computer until recently.  It isn't there anymore.  He also downloaded the Emsisoft Emergency Kit and has run the scan a few times before giving up and asking for help.  When he ran the scans, between both scans, he removed between 60-90 viruses, malware, and trojans.  Some marked as no risk, some high risk.  He still can't connect to the internet thru IE.  So he can't connect with you, which is why we are trying to see if we can do anything at all with his computer.  His computer didn't come with a back up disk, and he never manually backed it up.

When he tried to do a restore point, all of the files Emsisoft removed were back.

Is there anything at all that we can do to get him up and running again?

Thank You for any help you can give.

Sherry

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2014 - 05:43 PM.
No logs,moved from MRL to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

You were previously advised of your options:

It's much simpler...and better, administratively, if the OP initiates a new topic with the logs requested in Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and pastes the requested DDS log into the new topic.  New topic to be initiated in the same forum containing the Prep Guide.

Once that is done, this topic will be closed and the OP should follow the instructions given within that forum, in the new topic.

What is it that you don't understand about Steps 6-8 of the Preparation Guide?  Until those procedural steps are followed, your topic does not qualify for the Malware Removal Logs forum.

Moving topic to Am I Infected...please follow the procedures linked to above...and then (and only then) initiate a new topic in the forum containing the Prep Guide.

Thank you.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

To add to what Louis said the "other fellow" suggested running a tool that is not allowed in Am I Infected.

Louis replied telling him that tool is not to used in Am I Infected. The "other fellow" erroneously thought that if you ran that tool and posted the log in Am I Infected the topic would then be moved to Malware Removal Logs. Louis then let him know why it is best to follow the preparation guide he linked to and post the required logs in Malware Removal Logs. No one said the topic was in the wrong place.

If you do follow the guide and post the logs in MRL, please come back to this topic and post the link to the MRL topic so someone can close this one.

One more thing to note: from this page http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ (MRL topics page, in the blue section at the top) it clearly states

DO NOT RUN ComboFix unless requested to.

Computers do not come with back up disks, it is up the user to back up important files and folders.

You do have the option of restoring the laptop to factory condition. This will wipe out everything on it and he will lose all his files and folders and if he uses an email client mail in the client will be lost.

There should be a recovery partition on the system. This takes the place of disks. You can also create a set of recovery disks.

If you don't have the user guide you can go to HP website and find it for directions on how to use the recovery partition.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#4 peanutsnana

peanutsnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

First, Thank you for your suggestions.

2nd - if I knew what a DDS log was I would have done it.  Nobody has answered the question of whether there is something I can do to help him, since HE CAN'T LOG ON TO THE INTERNET ON HIS COMPUTER!

3rd - I have always let you know I am not good with computers.  I am very computer illiterate.  So Thank You so much for making me feel stupid.  I have gone to the links that Louis posted and tried to post there.  Then I was sent somewhere else by Broni.  That's when I posted the last post.

So I guess, unless someone can tell me IF I can help him without being able to log on to the web with HIS computer, I won't ask again.

#5 peanutsnana

peanutsnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Queen-Evie,

I haven't run any Combo Fix program.  All I have done on his computer is run Emsisoft.  It helped me a couple weeks ago.  I will tell him about the option to go online and get info for the Recovery partition.

Thank You

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

It's up to your son since it is his computer whether to try the clean up process or restore the laptop to factory condition.

Please let us know what he decides to do.

#7 peanutsnana

peanutsnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

He is going to use my computer to go on-line and find out how to take it back to factory settings.  Since he doesn't know what caused the issue, he's just starting over.  But he said to tell you all Thank You for your help!

We appreciate you all, so much!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Based on the amount of malware you said was removed I personally think restoring it to factory condition is the best option.

It's possible that the system is still infected although we would not know the extent unless he wanted to do the clean up process and post logs which would reveal if anything is still lurking.

Another factor is that it would be quicker to do a factory restore. Sometimes the clean up can takes several days.

Just tell him that after he gets it restored he can download and install PC Decrapifier from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/pc-decrapifier/ to get rid of the bloatware that will be installed along with the OS. I always get rid of the HP junk first thing after a reinstall of Windows 7 on my laptop. If he wants to do this and is unsure about removing something you can ask in the Windows 7 forum and let you know if it is safe to delete.

Make sure he has a good antivirus to install. Then get all the Windows/Microsoft updates and updates to the updates. After that he can reinstall any programs he needs.

edit to add: encourage him to make the set of recovery disks. Put them in a safe place, don't forget where you put them. They could come in handy one day. They can also be used if you ever have to replace the hard drive in the laptop because the recovery partition will not be on a new drive.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#9 peanutsnana

peanutsnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Queen-Evie,

Thank You so much for your help!  He is in the process of baking everythig up and making recovery disks.  I don't think he wants to go thru this again.  He is also going to download the PC Decrapifier and run it.

He also said to tell you Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users