Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast and can't get Internet when using router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

I previously had a dedicated modem provided by Comcast (Arris TP402P) which connected to my D-Link 825 router.

My wife talked to Comcast and got a new shinny combo modem/wireless router (Technicolor TC8305C).

I don't wish to use the wireless router functionally, but use my old D-Link.  I called Comcast, and they said they needed to "bridge it", and evidently did so.

If a PC is connected directly to the Comcast modem/router, I get Internet.  If fact, I can connect to any of the (4) ports even though the Comcast guy said only Port 1 should work.

If I put my router between the modem and my PC, I cannot get Internet.

I can access my modem using 192.168.0.1 from my desktop.  Note that if within the routers setup page, if I click "copy Mac", it says "invalid mac".  Don't know if this means anything.

Please provide suggestions.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

I previously had a dedicated modem provided by Comcast (Arris TP402P)

Are you sure that is the model number of the modem? It's not listed as an approved device for Comcast. An internet search returned no results for that model. There is an Arris TM402P, which was end of life as of June 2013. Is the reason you got a new modem because the other one was end of life?

My suggestion:

Go back to a regular modem and get rid of the gateway unit. One of the problems with the gateways is that Comcast will use it as an Xfinity hotspot. This means that other Xfinity customers can use that hotspot to connect to the internet. The hotspot function can be disabled but if I recall correctly some people have reported it somehow gets re-enabled.  More information on that here http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/comcast-turns-your-xfinity-modem-into-public-wi-fi-hotspot/

The article states that it's available only in certain areas. It may have expanded since it was written if you are not in one of the listed areas.

And in the Comcast help forum

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/xfinity-is-using-my-modem-as-a-home-hotspot-and-i-want-to-but/m-p/1933765/highlight/true

What I don't know is whether putting a gateway into bridge mode will disable the hot spot. Since it is a separate signal I *think* it will not.

If you want to keep the gateway device I have a suggestion for troubleshooting your issue.

Post in the Comcast Help Forums.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.

Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case post in Home Networking / Router / & WiFi Gateway Help

Hopefully someone will be able to help you.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#3 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thank you Queen-Evie,

The old modem is a Arris model number TM402P/110 and P/N TM02AJ104.  The old modem doesn't evidently support IP6 (don't know if I really care).  I don't know if it is end of life.

I ended up buying a new Netgear Nighthawk AC1750, and was able to get things up and going quickly, however, I am $170 poorer.  We do stream Netflix/Amazon, and I am rationalizing that maybe my life will somehow improve with the new router.  Probably not :(

Do you see much risk on having a renegade modem/gateway acting as a hotspot?  I don't live in the city but a fairly populated suburb.

I'll sleep on whether I should return the new router and go back to the old modem.  Your post was very informative, however, if you have any other insight, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

I don't know about the risk factor.

The only thing I do know is what others have said and since you mentioned streaming on Netflix I will quote what two had to say in the Comcast link I posted

this shared signal will slow our service down , especially when streaming movies online

it does slow down your streaming if someone is using it with their own comcast account. This has got to be the finest idea ever. I could give my account info to my whole family and they can draw of their neighbors hotshot (if they have it) using my account info. It's a work around. Xfinity not too smart. Then they try and sell day or week hotshot passes using residential modem/router that the customer pays for.

There are other posts complaining about slow downs if someone is connected the hotspot their modems are putting out.

Others feel like this poster (and I totally agree with them)

i didn't sign up to supply free internet for everyone around me!!!!! If they want that they can pay me just like comcast should for making me pay for internet and then giving it away for free

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Xfinity-WiFi-Gateway-HotSpot/m-p/2298231/highlight/true#M75811

I'm glad you got your issue resolved. Sorry that your are $170 poorer.

You will have weigh the pro's and con's of keeping the gateway unit and make the decision whether or not to keep it.

If it helps, someone else using the hot spot from your unit will not affect your bandwidth usage. At least I've read that it won't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users