Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event ID 41 restarts on new 8.1 machine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kazelo

kazelo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello

I have been having problems with frequent shut downs, without blue screen, on a newly-built PC. They are classified in Windows as "Event ID 41, Kernel-Power task 63" errors with no extra information or dumps. Triggers have included:

-- Downloading basic programs (using a bulk web installer from Ninite, so unclear which specific programs)
-- Opening graphics card controller program
-- Rendering levels in Guild Wars 2 and Civilization 5
-- Logging onto Windows account

The events are correlated -- that is, conditional on one shut down, I might get several in a row while trying to log into Windows. At other times, however, I have gotten 4-5 hours of uninterrupted use playing less intensive games (League of Legends), browsing the internet, streaming HD video, etc.

I have tried:
-- Uninstalling "redundant" drivers (e.g., the graphics card sound driver that might interfere with Realtek HD audio driver -- saw this in other similar threads)
-- Reinstalling all drivers on a fresh install of Windows, one-by-one (crashed after LAN and graphics card but before chipset, etc. -- but given the spacing between shut-downs, this didn't seem very solid evidence that either was the culprit)
-- Replacing the power supply with a friend's much larger wattage PSU (650 --> 1000 W); so I don't think it's under-powered
-- Rewiring everything in the case

And run some diagnostics:
-- Checking internal temperatures; everything was under 55-60 C
-- Windows built-in memory test, all clean

My hardware is
Processor - Intel i7 4790k
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H 
GFX - MSI N760 TF 2GB GTX 760 (factory overclocked)
HD1 - SanDisk UltraPlus SSD 128GB
HD2 - WD 1 TB
RAM - 16 (2x8) Kingston
PS - Rosewill 650W Modular (replacement tried was 1000W, I forget the brand)
Case - has 3 fans, 2 of which plug into Mobo
[I have not overclocked anything myself]

Important software:
Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro
Drivers from Gigabyte website (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4950#dl) and MSI (basic GeForce driver)

I am unsure how to proceed other than replace parts one-by-one. I was wondering if anyone had more experience with such problems and had a better idea of where to look next. I can try to provide additional information conditional on my computer's starting (it should be able to run long enough to check some error reports, etc.). My current plan would be to try without the graphics card. I have also not attempted to update the BIOS, which is 2 versions behind (what I have is current as of this May).

Thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

If you are the builder and are a bit tech savvy, I have an unconventional suggestion for you.

Go to Disk Management and shrink you data drive by about 100 gigs.

Disconnect your SSD and proceed to install 8.1 on the HDD's 100 gig partition.

I'm sure that I don't have to tell you to be careful to not delete your data partition...

Once you're up and running, you can install limited drivers, like the chipset, the required network driver and your GPU's drivers, if Windows doesn't install them automatically.

If you're wondering what this experiment will tell you, it'll tell you everything.

For instance, if it does exactly the same thing, you can be sure that you have a hardware problem.

If it doesn't shut down, then it's your system on the SSD that is messed up.

You can proceed to add other drivers one at a time, like Audio, Bluetooth, Webcam, or whatever other driver you're missing.

By doing them one at a time and running with the system like that for awhile, allows you to be sure that none of those drivers is causing the problem.

The big bonus of doing it this way is that you still get to use your computer in the meantime and avoid going crazy trying to find a needle in a haystack.

If you happen to find one individual driver or program that causes the problem, then yippee. If it works to perfection, you know to simply reinstall 8.1 on your SSD.

Once done, you're left with a dual boot system which is priceless to have for future events.

For instance, let's say you got nailed with the FBI virus that completely locks you out of your system, you bootup the other system, scan the infected drive wit Malwarebytes, clean it up, then reboot back to your SSD.

Another example is if you want to test some "iffy" software, you can do it on the HDD before risking your preferred system on the SSD.

I always have a dual boot on any and every PC I own. There are countless advantages. In your case, it will help you easily resolve your present problem and be of service for any future needs.

If you're wondering about activation, both systems are to be activated like one. That is to say, that they can't both run at the same time, so the one activation key will work for both.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users