Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Popups in Chrome and Steam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 King Tut

King Tut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Sometimes, clicking anywhere on a web page will link to a popup ad in a new tab in chrome, or in a new window in steam. Problem hasn't seemed significant from internet explorer. Sometimes Bitdefender Total Security catches the problem (attached file 1) which popped up just from clicking the "Topic Title" section on this page. Most of them tell me to update something like my flashplayer. Some tell me I'm infected, and that I need to download something to get rid of it. Haven't downloaded anything like that obviously. I'm not THAT computer savvy but I can follow instructions. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2014 - 07:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

At least you have the consolation that your security is doing its job, judging by your Image 1.

Pop-ups like these are a nuisance but there are sites whose first action is to open another advising you of things like 'Your Flash is out of date . . .'. You can reduce the frequency by ensuring that your pop-up blocker is turned on but that's about all you can do short of not going to these web-sites.

Basically continue doing what you are doing at the moment - apply common sense. If you want to update Flash (or any other Adobe product) go to the Adobe web-site. If somebody suggests your computer is infected and you are concerned, run a scan with your existing security software. NEVER download somebody's miracle cure just because a pretty web-site says so - that is one high probability way of getting infected.

You are already practicing safe surfing - keep it up.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 King Tut

King Tut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:46 AM

Thanks Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users