Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB - 1394 Short and Long Generic Fail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IcanDoThis2

IcanDoThis2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have a Seagate hard drive SATA 64MB cache I went to Seagate and ran the test on the hard drive it past but

the USB - 1394 failed both the short and long test. I'm not sure what to do next.

I spent a week on the phone with Dell support testing all the software. The computer would run for a few hours the shut off,

when the computer finally started  blue screening it said  there was no hard drive in the system.

I'm way over my head so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

We really need more information to offer any advice - make and model of computer and what operating system you are using. It would also help considerably if you run a Speccy scan and publish the link to the report in your next post. You can get Speccy from here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Once it has finished analysing your computer, you get a link from it, as in these two images, just copy / paste the link into your post.

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/5531/hxAaqx.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/5531/hxAaqx.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 September 2014 - 06:39 PM.
Image links failed to post

#3 IcanDoThis2

IcanDoThis2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

The computer with the Seagate hard drive is a Dell

Service Tag
C1KRFK1
Computer Model
Studio XPS 8000
Shipping Date
11/23/2009
Country
United States

It is currently blue screening so badly I can't get to the Speecy link you shared     I remember using f8 and f12 to run diagnosic's is that just for software issues? I will look in the forums. Thank you for any help you can share with me.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

One thing you fail to make clear - and I am confused by the reference to USB in your OP - is if this Seagate HD is the main interrnal drive or if it is a USB connected external one.

The fact that it has failed both the short and the long test suggests that this drive is on its last legs.

If it is your internal C:\ drive, then you need to get your data copied off it ASAP. You can do this in 'Safe mode', Windows Explorer works in safe mode. You will need enough external storage to hold all the data you want to salvage. By this I mean things like your work, photos, music, videos and everything else that tends to get forgotten - things like contact lists, browser bookmarks and any registration codes you have for software that you may have downloaded. Then you will need to buy another drive and re-install your OS, presumably Win 7 from the date, then all your applications, and then you can put your data back in.

If it is an external drive, then stop using it until you can get a replacement and then copy your data off it.

Do not apply any more tests to this drive until after you have got your data off it. These tests can stress a failing drive to the point where it dies. Once you have your data safely copied, then you can go back to investigating problems with this drive - but back-up your data first. If it is the internal drive, then it is nearly five years old which is not a bad lifespan for a hard drive.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users