Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft doesn't show all updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

So, this is a major problem that my website coder just realized no one else is aware of.

We went to search for the list of updates done to my computer & they weren't there. Some were, but not all. He checked his computer & same issue.

I can't believe all these years this has been a problem & no one is aware of them.

I need to remove this update - Prolific - Other hardware - Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port

I have an old mouse I use & it caused such problems, that it gave me blue screen & I couldn't get my computer to boot into Windows until I unplugged the mouse.

I have to shut her down now so I'm very nervous it's going to happen again.

How can I remove that update & stop it from reinstalling in the future?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

Try this:

• Unplug the converter.
    • If you're running XP, click Start > Run
    • If you're running 7, click the Start orb
  • then in either type in appwiz.cpl and press [Enter].
  • Look for something like "P... USB to Serial" - the publisher will be Prolific Technology INC and remove/uninstall it.
    • If you're running XP, click Start > Run
    • If you're running 7, click the Start orb
  • then in either type in devmgmt.msc and press [Enter].
  • In Device Manager you will find an unrecognized item shown with a big yellow question mark or exclamation point - right-click it and select uninstall.
  • Reboot the system.

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hi,

Ok, so I had to shut down my computer & when I rebooted, it did went thru ok. <sigh> Thank gawd.

I'm on Win 7 btw.

So do you still think I should remove it?

I STILL want to know why bloody MS does NOT show you all the updates you have had on your computer. That's just NUTS. Did you know that was the case?

What if a person doesn't remember what the update was called?

The only reason I remember it is b/c I had to do it manually, otherwise I'd never remember what the name of the update is b/c I just do them.

I don't have time to research every MS update.

Thanks your help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users