Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have tried everything to remove AVG from my computer...please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmagliocco

cmagliocco

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
    Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
        @AvgErrorCode_0x0020

This is the error message that keeps coming up. I am at my wit's end (not hard to do). Can someone please help.

Thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM.
merged 2 topics to create one. moved from Mini guides and how-tos - Simple answers to common questions to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cmagliocco

cmagliocco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

I think it's because of AVG, but anything I try to download gets deleted as my computer is saying it has a virus. I have tried everything and turned off all anti-virus protection. I am about to throw this laptop out the window!

Cee

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

The correct way to remove AVG is by using Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7/8 or Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP. Be sure to reboot when done.

* How to Uninstall AVG

Note: It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable is an alternative to Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs. Revo provides a listing of all installed software by installation date and when removing a program, it does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders. Just follow these instructions...How to use Revo Uninstaller.

Another alternative you can try is Opswat AppRemover - supported applications list'
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

I think it's because of AVG, but anything I try to download gets deleted as my computer is saying it has a virus. I have tried everything and turned off all anti-virus protection. I am about to throw this laptop out the window!

Cee

Also, as well as the above, please run this tool as I would like to see something:

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them. You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.

rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

After the tool has finished running, a text file named Rkill.txt should be located on the desktop. Please copy and paste the contents into your next reply.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

I would advise you look at properties for that avg exe file C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8   because it isn't the same as the file path i have known avg to use, and the name is not the same. just see if that exe file is digitally signed by avg. If by doing that you can see this is just a matter of avg having problems (not something pretending to be avg) then http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities  has some removal tools on it, i used one when i reinstalled avg a while back. Are you able to perform downloads at all to get hold of the tools i or anyone else has mentioned? how many browser do you have, how many of them have you tried downloading with? what exactly is the prompt/warning that is brought up when a download is stopped, does it happen only for downloads of certain file types or for absolutely everything (right click an image, "save image as... " and see if downloading a simple jpg or png is prevented)? If not i can see a way you could get the exe files you need onto your system.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Also, as well as the above, please run this tool as I would like to see something:

Yes, please follow xXToffeeXx's instructions. My reply was in regards to your initial post. When doing so I did not notice your second reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users