Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 9

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gunner 1

gunner 1

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi All,

Hope this is in the right forum,  When I type something in google such as, can you help, the page opens as normal,  then when i click the back button and go back to the google home page, what i had typed looks like this +can+you+help+   can anyone explain why, and can i stop it.  Oh, and if i click it again , and then go back to google again it looks like this  %+can%+you%+help%+.   Silly question but its baffled me.  Thanks for any help

Regards Gunner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

gunner 1

Your question is fabulous, the answer(s) could be taught in a "How to Understand Google and Websites" class.

IE 9 is your "Internet browser"; Google is your "search engine." The results of what you type into Google search will appear in a list format of websites that Google feels it has made a match for you.

When you click on a website, results show in the address bar (also location bar or URL bar). You will see the website name, words, symbols (etc.) which represent a "string".  This is the "structure" of the website.  It's a rather complex process to explain, to allow you to achieve a simple result!

Here is some information I found that might help you understand what you see in the address bar:

Almost every website on the Internet has a distinct design & organization structure. Experienced website designers usually create distinguishable layout templates for pages of different functions. They then organize the website by linking various pages with hyperlinks, each of which is represented by a URL string following some pre-defined syntactic patterns. This project is a reverse engineering to automatically discover the layout templates and URL patterns of a website, and understand how these templates and patterns are integrated to organize the website. To demonstrate the power of website structure understanding, this project also proposes some applications which leverage such site-level knowledge to help web search and data mining.

Link: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/website_structure_mining/

Take time to read the information in the link, and perhaps you will have a better understanding of what you have seen (i.e. +can+you+help+).

I hope this helps!

I look forward to other responses from other members or website builders as they explain why you see "%+can%+you%+help%+" in the address bar!

nandemoh

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

What you are seeing is the search query that is sent to the server.

Say for example you didn't want the word monkeys to appear you would add -monkeys. and if you wanted always easy to appear exactly you would add "always easy" This would give you a string like

q=can+you+help+-monkeys+"always+easy"

I'm not exactly sure why your browser is not clearing these details from the search bar when you click back, but I suspect it may be an issue related to the fact you are using legacy software. Just to note though, it is not necessary that you go back with Google. You can always start a new search at any time with the search bar that appears at the top of the page.

I hope this helps.

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 15 September 2014 - 12:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users