Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cc cleaner

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terryw45

terryw45

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi to all,

After taking your advice on 'antimalware' and 'cc cleaner' I used, and very successful, but when I tried 'system ninja' it came up with many more 'junk files', anyone have any useful input as to good, bad, indifferent,

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2014 - 01:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

System Ninja is optimization software, it's snake oil as far as I'm concerned, and the staff here feel the same way.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

I you want to remove junk, do the following.

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

Using a registry cleaner is like running across a busy motorway without looking in either direction. Yes you MIGHT come through unscathed but it is unlikely and what's more there was no purpose in running the registry cleaner either. To extend this metaphor a little further, think of running across that busy motorway when there is a footbridge 5 metres from you. This bridge is equivalent to deleting temp files, deleting personal (i use the word personal to mean any kind of document,video,music or image, or zip archive that is not a system or program file)large files you do not need and uninstalling programs you don't use. If you just remove temp files every week or so, clear your recycle bin daily, remove junk programs and delete some old personal files then you will do far more for your system than a registry cleaner never could, and you'll do it at almost no risk. CCleaner is a good program for deleting temp files and other such stuff, but avoid using it's registry cleaning function. It also lets you disable things from automatically starting, doing this will also speed up your machine but you shouldn't disable any startup application unless you are absolutely sure it is not needed.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 terryw45

terryw45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

Thank you for your replies, have taken your advice.

Thanks

Terry

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

Did you run the requested scans?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users