Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Booting Procedure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

Hi, folks. After reading a thread which touched on using the Recovery Cosole on an XP install disc, I realized that the booting process has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. That is, how does XP know where to find the "system volume". This all leads to me getting a handle on how to fix a system when it won't boot properly that spits out the error "hal.dll missing" or "insert system disk" and such misleading tripe.

I can't ask just one question because I have several, so I think it's best that I tell you what I believe to know and then let you correct me. With that said, here is how I imagine the 'nuts and bolts' description of how the booting process actually work:

- Once the BIOS's POST in complete it reads and runs the boot loader from the MBR of the Master disk drive on the first ATA channel (IDE or SATA).

- The boot loader searches the Master disk's primary partitions (logical partitions are excluded) for the partition that is set 'active'. The active partition has the three files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini. Ntldr takes over from the MBR's boot loader and uses ntdect.com and bootini to determine which partition on which disk drive the XP OS is located and finishes the booting procedure. This partition is called the "System Volume" by MS. Boot.ini specifies which physical drive and which partition XP is on.

- The System Volume can be either a primary partition or a logical partition.

How close did I come to getting this right ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Sounds like you hit er right on the money to me.
JU$T1N~1

#3 Viet Vet

Viet Vet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:55 PM

This May Help

http://www.compphix.com/xpbootprocess.html

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownref...cles/12284.aspx

VV