Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate external HD not being recognized

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mickapoo

mickapoo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

I have an external hard drive (Seagate model number ST3400601U2-RK, from the family "pushbutton backup .8".  I have the hard drive connected via a USB to my laptop which is running Windows 7.

A few days ago I noticed my hard drive becoming slightly unresponsive. When I would access the drive via Windows Explorer it was unusually sluggish to open the folders and files. Then it started making some unsettling clunking sounds.

Today I go to plug in my external hard drive and it does not get recognized at all. The drive is no longer listed in Windows Explorer, and a pop up appeared in the task bar telling me it did not recognize the device and that it needed a driver. I could not locate the driver on Seagate's website and from what I remember it was plug and play anyway, I don't think I ever did install a driver to begin with.

I'm not really sure what to do, the only thing I have tried at this point is to access the device through Device Manager (which brings up an "unknown device", so I'm assuming that's it, and I tried to click "update driver" but that option is not highlighted.

If anyone can help me troubleshoot how to get this drive back up, or alternatively, maybe tell me if it's even possible to retrieve the tons of media I have stored on there before it completely kicks the bucket I would appreciate it so much.

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Is it spinning up?  Any chance the USB port is damaged/dirty?  One thing to try which has worked for many is put the drive in the freezer, that may get it going.  The bigger issue is having sufficient space to move your data to if it does spin up..

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

I'm really not sure to be honest with you. It first wouldn't turn on, then I unplugged and plugged it back in, and it turned on but started clunking. How can I tell if it's spinning up? I hate to turn it off and try to reboot it as I'm afraid it may not turn back on again. Right now it's still connected, and on, but not being recognized.

So should I try putting in the freezer? For how long? Then bring it back and try to turn it on again?

Thanks for your help! (PS- I can work something out regarding space, if I need to delete some files that's fine but there's some I really need to access).

#4 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

So after you mentioned the freezing option I read this article:

http://www.thetechmentor.com/posts/put-your-hard-drive-in-the-freezer-to-recover-data/

It said to place in the freezer for a couple of hours or even overnight. Should I go ahead and try that? Are there any better options?

Also, I just unplugged it and plugged it back in. It sounded like it started to spin for a couple of seconds, then the "cu-clunk" sounds started. They continued for about 1 minute then stopped.

Edited by mickapoo, 13 September 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

Yes I would try it, you have grab chucks of data as the drive will slow and stop again.  I stop as soon as I see and drop in speed usually about 15 minutes and return it to the freezer.  It can take a lot of time but you may be able to save most if not all.

#6 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Thank you so much, I'm going to try it right now. Will let you know how it goes!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

If you are going to put the drive into a freezer make sure you are putting it into a zip-lock bag first. The condensation that would build up in the drive will kill it.

Sorry, I just saw the link which does mention the zip lock bag.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 September 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#8 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

If the freezer thing does not work, do I have any other options for fixing it or recovering the data on it?

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

Condensation can be an issue, what I like is to leave the USB cord attached to the drive then wrap it in Saran wrap.  The wrap can be left on for multiple freezes.  The next time I run into the issue I will wrap it then wrap it again with a Cool Pack attached giving me greatly extended time to pull data.

#10 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

It's been in there overnight, sadly this morning I tried it and it still did not recognize the drive in Windows Explorer. I could hear the spinning though, then it stopped and was quiet. Then it started the rhythmic "click-clunk" sounds. Am I out of options at this point or is there anything else I can try in order to retrieve the data off of it?

Thanks for your help.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

Your only option at this point is to have a professional recovery service look at the drive. Most are very expensive,at least $1000. I have never used a recovery service. There is one  that goes for $300 but you can take that as it is. I have had no experience with them.

Some others

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

http://www.werecoverdata.com/hard-drive-recovery/

http://www.salvagedata.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users