Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safety Tips - Keeping Children Safe On The Internet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

Excellent Advice for both children and adults ... Stay as anonymous as possible on the Internet to ensure both privacy and safety. As parents take the time to teach your children safety and responsibility while using the great resources available to us via the Internet.

McAfee AVERT Blogs - Security and Childrenís Web Sites
http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/?p=22

Itís always a good time to discuss computer security issues with your children. Hereís some thoughts to start:

1) Generally, donít talk to strangers. Unfortunately, children are not going to abide by this, as part of the fun of online games is to meet and play with other people.

2) Donít tell anyone your real full name. A first name should be good enough.

3) Donít tell anyone your age.

4) Donít tell anyone where you live. For purposes of playing with new-found friends on-line, just tell them the state, or the time zone and when it would be possible to play together again.

5) To register online for games, donít give out your birthday! As a general rule, always use January 1st. If the site has a requirement to verify the userís age, then the year of birth could be used. But all online birthdays should be January 1st. (All horses have a birthday of January 1.)

6) Many sites now ask only for your zip code. But even there, if youíve ever lived at a different address than you do now, use that old zip code. In fact, if the site is not going to be actually sending you anything via US Mail, use that old address for all registrations.

7) Establish an online email account for the purpose of using it as the registration email address for any online registration.

8) Establish an answer to the online ďsecurityĒ questions, like ďName of favorite petĒ or ďMotherís maiden nameĒ. Especially for something like ďMotherís maiden nameĒ which is actually used for identity purposes later in life, make up an answer. If your children have a school mascot, whatís its name? And just use that same answer for all the *online game* registrations.

9) And if thereís going to be money involved, always require that a parent be involved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

A few useful tips for the younger generation, every parent should at very least make sure there children know of these. Ive taught children in school,and its scary the info they are willing to give out (and deny everything), just for the sake of playing the latest demo or watching the latest music video. Lets help keep our young ones protected!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 McGhee

McGhee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

What I am wondering is how to keep kids from going to sites that seem to put tons of spyware on your computer. Because I swear, after they use the computer there is a TON and I have no idea why. They aren't downloading things because they can't. I gave them all limited accounts and they have to ask me to download. And since they are sitting right next to me when they are on the computer I know they aren't going to bad sites. So I guess surfing the web for sites that appeal to kids is what is causing this and game sites.

#4 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

You can download a free Web Filter/Parental Control.

Here is a good free one:

K9 Web Protection from Blue Coat
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#5 McGhee

McGhee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:44 AM

Here is a good free one:

Cool, thanks! I will check that one out! :thumbsup:

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

Your welcome. How's it working for you?
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:44 AM

Excellent Advice for both children and adults

More here:

http://www.internetsafetyzone.co.uk/
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/ac...ip/index_en.htm
http://www.uclan.ac.uk/host/cru/isca_overview.htm
http://www.saferinternet.gr/Default.aspx?tabid=225

Stelios

#8 SONICMAN2

SONICMAN2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

Your welcome. How's it working for you?

Hey SS,

I know that I was pointed towards using K9 and it works really well here! Before coming here with a problem awhile back I had used 2 others that didnt block hardly anything. K9 is a great blocker PLUS I can see really easy where they've been.

#9 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Just what I was looking for.....thanks for the suggestions!
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#10 Supreme Edgeboy Max

Supreme Edgeboy Max

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

I'm sure the above linked guides mention these, but I'll post this just in case.

Turn on "Strict SafeSearch Filter" on Google. This can be accessed by clicking the "Preferences" link on any Google search page, and changing the settings. Don't forget to click "Save Preferences" afterward! Be sure to do this every time you clear your browser's cache and cookies as Google's settings depend on your cookies.

If using FireFox, download and use the WOT Add-on (can be found here). The official description is:
WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop Ė helping you avoid the dangerous sites. Surf safer and add WOT to your Firefox now.
It's as simple as that. Teach your kids to talk to you as soon as they see a page they are visiting marked with a yellow or red icon, and teach your kids to never click on links that have a red icon by them in Google searches.

If using FireFox, download and use the NoScript Add-on (can be found here).
What this does is allow you to seamlessly control what scripts are allowed to run on Firefox. Using the little button (it looks like an S with a slash through it) that it places in the corner of your browser, choose what scripts to allow and what not to allow.
Big advantage: It'll prevent many advertisement scripts working on pages, it'll prevent hidden scripts from working.

These not only helps kids, but helps protect your computer as well. Happy surfing!

Posted Image

#11 chaos549

chaos549

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

I have found WOT to be an effective tool to bring attention to users where they are going. It is for Internet Explorer too.

I would like to recommend OpenDNS as a network wide solution to web-filtering. Plus you get the benefit of high speed dns servers. If you're like me and have an ISP with lousy DNS servers you'll see great improvement.

Web-filtering is one of the extended benefits of using OpenDNS which is itself totally free and simple enough to setup for intermediate users or with instruction. Filtering is flexible, you can be very specific about what kinds of content is allowed, or just lock it all down.

I mentioned network wide because if you setup your router to use OpenDNS servers every device connecting to the router will by default use these settings and be filtered.

#12 jackbency

jackbency

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:21 AM

These sites are targeting all children and are very persistent. If your computer is in a high-traffic area, you will be able to easily monitor the computer activity. Consider activities you can work on together, whether it be playing a game, researching a topic you had been talking about , or putting together a family newsletter.

#13 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

Its just like trying to keep them safe on the streets. Unless you are with them all the time, it cant be done.

#14 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

lol when I was a lil' chiddler I accidently put bad stuff on the computer. I think I may have been the one that got mydoom on the old Windows 98
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

#15 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Here is a good free one:

That's actually VERY good. I put it on my daughter's computer for her account. Thankfully it supports 64-bit now (it did not previously).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users