Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Quadro NVS 400 - only 3 out of 4 monitors work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ma_ko

ma_ko

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi, I have a problem with setting up 4 monitors to work on Nvidia Quadro NVS 400. I connected 4 monitors through 2x LFH to DVI splitter but only 3 of them work. The 4th one is blank. I'm using windows XP with old nvidia drivers v84.80 or so (there are never but they have newer control panel and I couldn't get them to work for more than 2 monitors). I turned on multiview oprion and checked that all of 4 monitors are detected in nvidia settings, and still no luck. One thing I noticed is that when two monitors work in 1280x1024 resolution the 3rd one works in 1024x768, although it can work in higher resolution when alone. That way currently the 3 working monitors work in 1024x768 because of this one (because I can't set up different resolution for different monitors when in multiview mode) Does someone have an idea? Is it the card's fault? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Welcome,

Assumption:  All four monitors work as expected - alone

Have you put the card in a different system to confirm that it will do what it's advertised to do?

If you are running XP on an older motherboard it may not be getting enough power to the card to drive four monitors. Is the power supply adequate for the job you are tasking it to do?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 ma_ko

ma_ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

Hi, thanks for answering. I don't know that much about computers so I thought that since monitors have their own power sources, the power supply doesn't matter. The PC is a Dell Optiplex 780, right now i can't say how big is the power supply. I'll have to check is tomorrow but I think it might be standard 255W

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Each monitor does have its own power supply  BUT you need power to get the graphics data TO the monitor. I'd be willing to guess that you are in need of a power supply rated at 400 Watts or more [the 'or more' will allow you to do a bit more expanding before you need another upgrade]

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#5 ma_ko

ma_ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

Unfortunately, that didn't help. I used 400W power supply with the same effect (2 monitors work, third can display max resoluton 1024x768 and 4th is blank). About this third monitor the problem is, it detects signal when I set its resolution to 1280x1024 (steady green light) but the screen itself is blank.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

When connected alone does it work correctly?

Dick

Dick E

#7 ma_ko

ma_ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

Yes, it works in 1280x1024 with no problems. I tried swapping cables and setting this monitor as the second one or even the main, first one. The result was similar. It couldn't work at resolution higher than 1024x768. Seems like it's the monitor's fault since other monitors when placed in its place seem to work with no problem.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Procress of elimination - you have an answer

Now you need to determine your solution

Keep us posted

Dick E

#9 ma_ko

ma_ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

I managed to achieve 4 monitors working together but: there are 2 ways to make it happen:

1. Not using nvidia multiview option. In desktop settings you can turn on 4 monitors and set different resolutions for each one, but the one I was talking about earlier still cannot work in 1280x1024 resolution. what I noticed is that it gives high pitch sound from somewhere when the higher resolution is set (it receives signal but the screen is blank). It works well when connected alone.

2. Using nvidia multiview option. When turned on, Windows detects all 4 monitors as one and I have to set everything in nvidia control panel. This mode stretchs the desktop along the 4 monitors (wallpaper + taskbar) thus forcing one resolution on all 4 monitors. It means that they have to work in 1024x768 resolution because of that one faulty monitor. Unfortunately I don't have 5th monitor to check if it's really its fault.

to sum up. I more or less resolved my problem and I wanted to thank you for your help. If I learn something more I'll post it.

Edited by ma_ko, 17 September 2014 - 04:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users