Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezes (no sound and requires restart)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LiquidQuantum

LiquidQuantum

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

I have had this problem for a while now and it requires me to hold down the power button and restart my computer. There seems to be no time limit, my computer is not overheating or being overworked. It has happened while i have been just browsing the internet or when I am playing games. I am stumped on what to do. I want to make sure it is not something software side before I go doing anything with replacing hardware.

When it freezes all sound just stops and I can not move my mouse. What ever my screen was showing a second before the freeze is what it stays showing. It seems to happen alot when i hit fullscreen or unfullscreen a youtube video or Twitch.tv stream. I have tried waiting it out but it stays that way for hours.

I will admit to having torrented before.

My Rig:

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

PSU: Coolmax VL 600W

Cooling: Rosewill RCX-Z1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:02 AM

Freezing can be difficult to troubleshoot as it doesn't give us much information about the cause.

Driver Verifier might force a BSOD which will produce a dump file for me to analyse.

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier monitors Windows kernel-mode drivers, graphics drivers, and even 3rd party drivers to detect illegal function calls or actions that might corrupt the system. Driver Verifier can subject the Windows drivers to a variety of stresses and tests to find improper behavior.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be causing the issues at hand, enabling Driver Verifier will help us see which specific driver is causing the problem.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8/8.1)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8/8.1)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD. To expand on this a bit more for the interested, specifically what Driver Verifier actually does is it looks for any driver making illegal function calls, causing memory leaks, etc. When and/if this happens, system corruption occurs if allowed to continue. When Driver Verifier is enabled per my instructions above, it is monitoring all 3rd party drivers (as we have it set that way) and when it catches a driver attempting to do this, it will quickly flag that driver as being a troublemaker, and bring down the system safely before any corruption can occur.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will detect it in violation almost straight away, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
 Restart and boot into normal Windows.

If your OS became corrupt or you cannot boot into Windows after disabling verifier via Safe Mode:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.

-- Note that Safe Mode for Windows 8/8.1 is a bit different, and you may need to try different methods: 5 Ways to Boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier. I will usually say whether or not I'd like for you to keep it enabled any longer.

My system BSOD'd with Driver Verifier enabled, where can I find the crash dumps?

- If you have the system set to generate Small Memory Dumps, they will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump.

- If you have the system set to generate Kernel-Memory Dumps, it will be located in %systemroot%[B] and labeled [B]MEMORY.DMP.

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Bear in mind that there are risks associated with this approach, as per wiki

Driver Verifier is not normally used on machines used in productive work. It can cause undetected and relatively harmless errors in drivers to manifest, especially ones not digitally signed by Windows Hardware Quality Labs, causing blue screen fatal system errors. It also causes resource-starved drivers to underperform and slow general operation if the constraints imposed by Verifier are not reversed after debugging. Microsoft recommends not all drivers should be verified at the same time.[2]

You could completely uninstall video and audio drivers and reinstall, as well as reseat your graphics card, and while you're in there, you could reseat all your ram too.

If you have contact cleaner or alcohol to clean the contacts, all the better.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

I undertand the risks which is why I ask people to create a system restore point before.

It's used to put stress and watch over drivers being verified and when it finds a violation the system bugchecks pointing to the driver responsible.

You should NEVER verify drivers by microsoft, macrovision or unknown as they are usually part of the operating system.

The reason Microsoft doesn't recommending drivers at the same time is usually because of the special pool system which works far better when each driver is verified individually which is a very lengthy process and normally not practical due to the amount of time needed to perform these tests.

I could go into detail about how it works but that's for another day, Microsoft recommends that you use Driver Verifier if a driver problem is present which is why it is built into Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users