Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External 2.5 Seagate copied music files have pixelated sound on playback

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 happydeb

happydeb

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:19 AM

Hi I have a "Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive 1DX3AP-500 3TB" external drive

I have an Acer 2010 Notebook PC with 451 Gb capacity

I hate asking a dumb question so I'll spare you what I went through to avoid asking a question I could have answered myself and get to the point.

How do I restore my backed up files to the same harddrive that they are backed up on, in case the files that I'm using to play from on that same harddrive get screwed up, lost or corrupted?

What I went through to figure my problem out and how it was resolved:

My intention was to play my music from the external drive, and I thought my files had been damaged during the copy process. I had

• backed up approximately 250 Gb of pictures video and music in a single backup operation of all those folders.
  • Then I copied my 100 Gb iTunes music library to my external drive where I began operations to delete duplicates bringing the total size of that file down to 52 Gb.
  • Then I deleted my i-Tunes media files and album artwork on my laptop

And happily began to play my music but to my horror, the music and electronic bleeps interspersed throughout that sound just like video sounds when it pixelates. It's only a few short bliips here and there and if I were playing "house" music I probably wouldn't notice it but I'm playing acoustic guitar and the sound is garish and completely ruins my listening experience.

So, I thought well, maybe it's my computer speed? So I:

• broke down and bought the AVG PC tune up and I resolved most of my speed issues, (complaining about that is another thread  I guess my computer is re-indexing because I can't find much in a search. I optimized with AVG to leave indexing on. I don't know how to tell if it is working or not or how long it will take, I mention it because maybe that's the problem but I don't think so)
  • I tried playing the same piece to compare how it sounded now with how it sounded before and I heard the same pixelations in the same place, as though it was a lost packet in the copy process
  • Then I changed my default library location back to my PC to test some existing music that was not copied to my Seagate HD

But before and after this process my computer was really slow with lots of windows explorer "non-response" pages  (not internet explorer). So looking at my task manager, my cpu had a lot of 70% spikes when nothing is going on, after optimization it is around 40 to 50 and my physical memory was around 2.0  to 3. 7 Gb out of about 4Gb I think.

So I decided to use Windows media to play a music file that hadn't been transferred to the hard drive and I had the same problem. There are problems with my stereo jack and my audio setup because it happens even when the speakers aren't plugged in.

But this brings me back to my main question. How do I restore my backed up files to the harddrive that they are backed up on, in case the files that I'm using to play from get screwed up, lost or corrupted? And I have a new question which I'll post in another thread. What is wrong with my CPU?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

I think you may want to start with your AV scans. Followed by DLing and running MalwareBytes Anti-malware ... http://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/ . DL the Free version.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Do you have the problem if you copy the file to your machine?  If the song plays normally, this would indicate that the file is fine and the issue is with the data transfer from the external device.

#4 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I wonder if Kilroy may be on the right track, that it is a transfer speed issue.  Don't know about your particular laptop, but most recent ones have one or more USB 3.0 ports (marked with an "SS" next to the USB symbol, for "super speed") and one or more USB 2.0 ports (without the "SS").  Your 3 TB Seagate drive presumably has a USB 3.0 connector - at least, mine does :) - but if the cable is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the computer, you will get only USB 2.0 transfer speed.

I also don't know whether USB 3.0 is fast enough for hiccup-free music playback - I suppose that might depend on the bit rate of the music file - but if the files play normally from the internal hard disk, at least you know it is a transfer-rate issue.  Easy enough to check which port the cable is plugged into, move it if necessary, and check the playback again.

#5 happydeb

happydeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

Aha you are right. I finslly see this two years later. 3.0 ss on the seagate 2.0 on the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users