Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a "send from" address to Gmail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 w411

w411

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

Google has apparently made a change to the way this used to work.

If I wanted to set up a quick and easy (and free) branded email (info@mywebsite.com), I used to create a Gmail address (usually similar to mywebsite@gmail.com) and add info@mywebsite.com as a verified sending address.  With my registrar I create an email forward from info@mywebsite.com to mywebsite@gmail.com, I would set the default send from address to the branded address and no one would be the wiser that I am using Gmail.

I tried to set up an account yesterday and Google doesn't allow the use of their own mail servers anymore.  In Gmail under "settings" (http://d.pr/i/wN60) then to "accounts and import" then in the "send mail as" section click "add another email address you own".  Enter the name and email address you want to use and click "next step".  At this point you used to have the option to use the Google mail servers but now you are required to enter your own mail server and credentials (http://d.pr/i/KaOn).

I have two paid mail providers and I have tried using the settings for both which get authenticated when Google checks, however neither are giving me a verification email.

I have set up dozens of accounts the old way but just wondering if anyone else is running into this new roadblock?

Edited by w411, 12 September 2014 - 09:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

In Settings>Accounts and Imports>Using Gmail for Work..did you try this feature? See link..

http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/products/gmail/#utm_medium=et&utm_source=gmail-en-ui&utm_campaign=crossnav

#3 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

In Settings>Accounts and Imports>Using Gmail for Work..did you try this feature? See link..

http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/products/gmail/#utm_medium=et&utm_source=gmail-en-ui&utm_campaign=crossnav

I wouldn't say that is a "feature" . . . that is a paid alternative to the free version of Gmail.

#4 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

Not to mention that is $60 per user, you can have unlimited aliases within the same domain, but I have multiple new domains to set up each year.

I can still easily set up info@mydomain.com to be forwarded to the Gmail address, I just have to answer from mydomain@gmail.com.

#5 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Not to mention that is $60 per user, you can have unlimited aliases within the same domain, but I have multiple new domains to set up each year.

I can still easily set up info@mydomain.com to be forwarded to the Gmail address, I just have to answer from mydomain@gmail.com.

I liked the noun..in any event, it's clear now that you will no longer get "free" multiple aliases via gmail. 

Perhaps gmail is now charging everyone, when "free" is taken advantage of..multiple new domains being set up each year in gmail.

I adore gmail, however it does appear that what you are looking for must be found in a different email source.

Good luck!  When you find your solution, post back as I'm sure there are many others in your situation.

#6 w411

w411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

There is a difference between "taking advantage of" and "utilizing" a service . . . these are accounts I am setting up for small business owners to keep expenses as low as possible for them.

After many trouble tickets throughout the night it appears as though the issue could potentially be the host I am using to set up the forward, I will update the tread with what I find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users