Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New monitor, not sure what this is

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

I just got an ASUS VN248H-P monitor and at first I thought what I saw is a dead pixel or stuck pixel but I'm not quite sure anymore, it mainly shows up on white background, but it also shows up when my monitor is off, here's a pic I took, it looks pretty bad though:

IMG_20140912_194500.jpg

Any ideas appreciated, it's towards the middle and the right. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

Looks like it's an artefact in the layer construction of the LCD, going under various names such as Mura, Gomi, etc depending on the exact cause. Different manufacturers state different policies on acceptability of Mura in LCD panels, but if it was my purchase, I would seek an exchange as an out-of-the-box flaw, unless it doesn't really bother you. I think it is unlikely to ever change or get worse. It's not possible to say that with total certainty of course, but Mura is a known issue with LCD manufacture. (I repair LCD monitors as part of my employment.)

Edited by Platypus, 12 September 2014 - 08:06 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Obmute

Obmute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Looks like it's an artefact in the layer construction of the LCD, going under various names such as Mura, Gomi, etc depending on the exact cause. Different manufacturers state different policies on acceptability of Mura in LCD panels, but if it was my purchase, I would seek an exchange as an out-of-the-box flaw, unless it doesn't really bother you. I think it is unlikely to ever change or get worse. It's not possible to say that with total certainty of course, but Mura is a known issue with LCD manufacture. (I repair LCD monitors as part of my employment.)

Well I had someone else look at it (since of course the pic had to be taken really zoomed in) and we're thinking the glass might be chipped on the display. Probably still see about getting an RMA eh?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

I would try for an RMA. Unless that model has an additional glass protective screen, which its specs don't seem to indicate, there isn't any glass in an LCD panel, the optic layers are plastic. Hard to say for sure but from the image the location and shape seems to coincide with the pixel structure, so it's probably an aberration in the liquid crystal sac of those pixels. Mura in other layers such as the diffuser are seldom angular.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Obmute

Obmute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

Well I started an RMA with newegg, we'll see how it goes. Thanks Platypus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users