Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird 8 blue lights on screen when I boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sploog321

Sploog321

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

It will stay like this for 1-2 minutes, then the screen will shut off and come back on and loads the log-in menu. Doesn't look too good...

Any idea what's up and how I can fix this?

http://imgur.com/4ANLFiF

Edited by Sploog321, 12 September 2014 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have to say that's a terrible picture.

You know what you're looking at and it surely makes sense to you, but I can't get any real perspective.

Any chance you could wipe the screen clean and take the picture (no flash) with a white wall behind you?

In general, exhibitions of erratic colored artifacts on the black screen at bootup. are due to ram that might be fixed by simply removing the sticks, cleaning and reinserting them.

It could also be the graphics that are on their way out, which would be a catastrophic problem, but it's a lot more likely to be ram related.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

I can take another picture if you'd really like, but it really does only shows those blue lights at the top left of the sceen only.

I'll toggle with the RAM later and post results.

Edited by Sploog321, 12 September 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

That's what I'm talking about.

I couldn't even tell that the blue lights were at the top of the screen, but no matter now, as you've told me where they are.

BTW On rare occasion, in similar situations, I've had to change a stick of defective ram, but it's really rare. Most of the time, just reseating them fixes it.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 Sploog321

Sploog321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

I reset the RAM but I still get those 8 blue dots. Unsure if this is a RAM problem. Those dots are only there for the 1-2 minutes it takes to get to the sign-in screen.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

It's easy to know if it's ram by booting up with just one, then rebooting with another stick in a different slot, as it would be highly unlikely to have 2 sticks of ram go bad in the same way at the same time.

Moving on. The comportment has to be considered as well.

You not only have those dots, but they delay the beginnings of your bootup, so I don't think it's the ram, nor the graphics.

Do you know hot to reset the bios?

The bios is the only system running when you first bootup and the two minutes that it takes 'till Windows can start to boot, indicates to me that the problem is in the bios.

It could be the motherboard itself or the actual bios system.

If you can flash it, or reset it by clearing the CMOS, that may be the solution to this very unique problem.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users