Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning the tables on "Windows Support" scammers by compromising their PCs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Tech support scams are nothing new—we first went in-depth almost two years ago on "scareware scammers" who cold-call unsuspecting victims and try to talk them into compromising their computers by installing remote control applications and handing the keys over to the scammers.

We even managed to engage with one for a protracted length of time, with deputy editor Nate Anderson playing the role of a computer neophyte and recording the entire mess. But one developer has taken things a step further, producing a tool that will enable you to fight back if targeted—if you don’t mind a bit of bad acting yourself.

Turning the tables on "Windows Support" scammers by compromising their PCs

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

After the payload is delivered, the Ammyy Admin server is fed the appropriate instruction that gains control over the instruction pointer, causing it to execute the payload. And just like that, the victim becomes the attacker.

And as the Great One would say..."How sweet it is."

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

I had a phone scammer ring 3 days ago, claiming he was a representative of the Australian Reserve Bank, and I had money + $7000 interest from a lost bank account. Very thick Indian accent.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

I had a phone scammer ring 3 days ago, claiming he was a representative of the Australian Reserve Bank, and I had money + $7000 interest from a lost bank account. Very thick Indian accent.

Just got another phone call from these scammers. Looks like they're targeting Australia and United States. http://www.reverseaustralia.com/lookup/0280068345/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

Just got another phone call from these scammers. Looks like they're targeting Australia and United States.

Maybe they read about you here and are trying to get the goods on you personally. :crazy:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

Crazy Cat that's me calling, And if you give me your bank details and 500 bucks I will go and collect the money for you....... Trust Me.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Crazy Cat that's me calling, And if you give me your bank details and 500 bucks I will go and collect the money for you....... Trust Me.

Okay, I trust you! Here's a blank cheque, fill it in and PM it back too me so I'll sign it.

westpac_900x600.jpg

Smiley-ROFL.gif

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Just got another phone call from these scammers. Looks like they're targeting Australia and United States.

Maybe they read about you here and are trying to get the goods on you personally. :crazy:
Maybe your right! OHHHHHH the paranoia, now I need to take extra Prozac and lithium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users