Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software HDD turn off?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hello!

I have an older desktop PC with two HDDs, a SATA for my system and an IDE for backup.

I always have the molex connector disconnected from the IDE and only connect for that hour when I'm making backup (very rarely) and then disconnect again.

Is there a way with Windows XP (or maybe with some thrid party software) to somehow disable the IDE HDD (without me having to open up the PC case each time to disconnect the molex connector).

There's probably no way to completely turn it off like a hardware way but at least to keep it off, meaning not spin, not being seen in Windows etc. - so turned off as much as possible. :)

Thanx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

Turning off the power to a drive is not an available feature with XP. In fact, that OS is not being supported for updates, etc., and I would strongly recommend updating /upgrading to W7. The feature is still not available to shut down the power but you can dismount the drive so windows doesn't see it, at least until the next reboot.

I'm thinking that what you're tryig to accomplish would be much easier with an external USB backup drive. Plug it into the port, boot up, do your backup, shut down, unplug the drive and reboot to continue doing your thing.

Might even convince you to do your backups more regularly [strongly recommended]

keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Well, there is a way to do it if you don't mind getting out the soldering iron. You need a DPST (double pole, single throw) panel mounting switch, and a bit each of medium red and yellow coloured wire. The switch should have push-on type connectors.

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

A Molex connector carries four cables : red = +12V, yellow = +5V and black is ground. Cut the red and yellow cables about 2 or 3 inches back from the connector. Solder about six inches of wire onto the new ends, red to red and yellow to yellow, and insulate your joints. Heat shrink is the tool of choice.

Crimp a female connector of a type to match the switch on to the other ends of these four wires. Take the panel off your computer and drill and file a hole to take the switch and mount the switch on the panel. Connect the wires to the switch, replace the panel, you are good to go. Just make sure that when the switch 'makes', it is connecting red to red and yellow to yellow - check the diagram that comes with the switch or use a meter.

Much simpler, as Dicke says, to use an external drive !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thank you both for your comments.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

Disable IDE in BIOS...?

Tekken

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

The BIOS disable will require a reboot to get to it and a reboot to reverse it. The other options can be done without rebooting. User's choice!

A very viable option :)

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users