Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET 'New Device Detected' Pop-up at Startup - Network connection lagging

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 widewheels

widewheels

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

Dear all

Suddenly, out of the blue, the following has started happening:

Desktop PC is turned on, windows (7) starts, desktop appears, programs start to load then everything slows down until a pop-up from ESET appears stating a new device has been detected. The device in question is an external 3TB hard drive which is permanently connected to a rear USB 3.0 port and has been connected for months. 

This issue only started happening 2 days ago.

The frustrating thing is that it now takes much longer than usual to receive 'connected' status i.e. the blue circle is spinning for a lot longer and only connects the second the pop-up from ESET appears. It is almost as if the connection to the web is waiting for ESET to discover this particular device before actually connecting.

Prior to this, I received no ESET pop-up as in theory this is not a new device as it is permanently connected, connection to the web was established with 5 seconds and all startup items were up and loaded with 8 seconds. It now takes a good 45 seconds for the blue circle to stop spinning and all startup items to load fully.

The two issues may be unrelated but it seems very coincidental. 

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks !

Edited by widewheels, 12 September 2014 - 10:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

I use ESET and have an external hard drive connected to the rear of my machine too...and never encountered that issue before.

The first thing I would try is to move the external 3TB hard drive device to a new port.

If that doesn't help then check out the Eset Smart Security 7 User Guide...Section 4.1.2 deals with Removable media and Section 4.1.3. explains Device control, rules, adding rules, etc.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users