Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB print server problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 samyaza

samyaza

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

Hello, this is my first post so I want to salute you all.

I have a big problem. I have a print server. You can see it in the image below.

My problem is. Was configured on fixed IP (not DHCP) and I don't know the ip.

This print server was boght from the internet and the guy who sold it doesn't know the ip.

I don't know what to do because it doesn't have a reset button on it. Yeah.. I know what a crap. There are similar products with reset button but not this one.

I tried to conected to my rouer but not a chance.. I tried changing few classes in my router 10.10.. 192.168.0.. 192.168.1. etc.. not a chance.

As a hardware is working fine (the leds are on) but because is on fixed ip I can't find it.

I also tried to conect it directly to the network card .. (yeah I know is not working like that) and of course my network card asigned an ip as 169.254... crap!

Anybody has any idea?

I really need this print server and I want to use it somehow.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by samyaza, 12 September 2014 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

Provided the IP address is on the same network.  This page has the script to ping every network address.  This will show you the IP addresses that are responding.  The must be some way to reset it.  I'd recommend searching the web for a manual.

#3 samyaza

samyaza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

not a chance. it doesn't have a reset button. i even open the case and nothing inside. I would love to get the manual but is no name. I don't know how to look for it. I just have two codes on the back a serial number and another code. Looked with google for both of them but with nothing.

I can't ping the ip-s because the server cannot connect to the router. It has fixed ip, and my network has 192.168 .. class ip's.. this for sure has another setup.

to ping any ip .. you need to be on the same network but I cannot conect the print server to my network because I don't know the ip.. is not in dhcp mode.

it must be a way..

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

can you take a picture from the other side of it as well...thanks

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Angry ip scanner will find the ip.  Just connect it to your router via its lan port and run the software from your pc

http://angryip.org/download/#windows

Unfortunately knowing the ip address may not be enough.  Something that small usually requires software to configure it and it does not have a web page interface.  Without access you won't be able to change the ip address.

USB print servers are cheap these days

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052103&p_id=5342&seq=1&format=2

#6 samyaza

samyaza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

Ok for CaveDweeler2 this is the other side: 

The product seems to be this one:

http://www.connectgear.com/Print_Servers/GP1405.htm

I can't find any documentation or reset instructions. It must be a way reset it without a button. (direct wiring inside or something).

For Wand3r3r.. yes there are many tools out there including ip scanner.. but let me tell you something. If my router is in dhcp mode and has let's say the following setup: 192.168.1.1 and the print server has a custom ip other than 192.168.1.x it will never accept it. This is my problem.

Maybe my english is not perfect, but I'm not that noob. I know how to use tools to scan the ip, but to be honest I really don't need that because my routers allow me to see all the clients connected, including MAC address, etc... 

When I connect the print server to my router it doesn't appear in my list of devices even the led is blinking and you can see clearly there is communication between the devices, but having different ip classes.. they are not allowed to connect.

I tried putting some usually defaults on my router like.. 192.168.x.x 10.10.x.x but I can't try all the ip classes in the world.

The best solution would be to reset it..but how? Without reset button (clearly a cost wise omission) there must be a procedure like making a short circuit on the board, between pins of some IC's or else.. you got my idea. 

I know they are cheep nowadays but in US.not in Europe.. and I already got this one.. maybe there's a way to make it work.

Attached Files

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

You don't configure it through the network/router. You configure it by connecting it's USB port to the PC's USB port. It likely had a cd with software/drivers at some point. You install them and you can configure the devices IP address. Then you connect it to the router.

Edited by technonymous, 15 September 2014 - 03:11 AM.

#8 samyaza

samyaza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

I don't have the cd.. looked all the internet for it, but no chance. And that's because is a no name bullbleep. Also I never owned a USB to USB cable.. I have one to connecting two pc's .. I would try out..thanks for the suggestion..

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Samyaza AngryIP will find any ip on the lan.  Does not matter if you have a dhcp server or whatever.  The ip does not have to reside in the lan subnet.

But this is moot since it appears you will be buying a new one anyway.  Best of luck.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

From your link it states: Installing and configuring GP-1405 is simple using the Windows installation wizard.                                                

That's why I was specualting that you connect it to the pc first and install it and configure it that way before connecting it to the router. Wifi printers work in a similar fashion. You connect the printer to the pc with usb cable configure it then disconnect it and it's wifi connects to the router just like any wireless pc would.

Edited by technonymous, 16 September 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#11 samyaza

samyaza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

I don't own the cd, and I can't find it on the internet. No matter the statement, I can't do it because I lack this cd. The usb cable is not a problem, but the software.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

I don't own the cd, and I can't find it on the internet. No matter the statement, I can't do it because I lack this cd. The usb cable is not a problem, but the software.

I think you just connect it and windows will detect the device Plug and Play and Windows will load the software and drivers for it. At some point during all that you should be able to configure the IP after the device shows up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users