Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(HELP) PC Temperature Monitoring Software "with OSD feature" ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aberrant

Aberrant

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

I am currently repairing a relative's computer because it keeps on rebooting within minutes of usage. I run both HWmonitor and Speccy, and found out that the CPU's temperature is very high, about 80+ Celsius. After playing a game for about 30-40 minutes the computer reboots and switched to standby mode. 

So, I am gonna clean this computer up and I will re-apply a thermal compound on the processor and see if that will solve the high temperature of the system. Meanwhile, I want to ask if, is there any monitoring software that offers an OSD(On Screen Display) capability of the system's temperature (Temp for Motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc)? I want to see the changes of temperature while playing a game in full screen or browsing.

Though I did a quick research and found several software that offer this kind feature, but I encounter errors along the way. So far I already did tried the ATI Tray Tools, in which I encounter an error about a missing .dll file and I also tried RivaTuner that also pops an error about an unsigned file that Windows denied the program from running.

Maybe you guys got some knowledge or better workaround for this problem of mine. I highly anticipate your kind suggestions and recommendations about this matter.

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2014 - 12:39 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 widewheels

widewheels

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

You could try Speedfan - Nice little bit of software: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

FWIW:  My experience is that no single program...gets it right when it comes to all the temps it chooses to display.

I feel that Speccy is close enough regarding CPU and drive temps that I have confidence in its readings and don't feel confident in utilities like Core Temp, SpeedFan, HWMonitor, et alia.  OTOH, other members here feel confident using the ones I don't feel confident in :).  Most of those members have more extensive experience with systems than I...I'm only limited to my personal experience and what I see flowing through the forums here.

IMO, the BIOS is the best place to double-check readings for the CPU and test the data spewed forth by any utility attempting to measure CPU overheating.

I've never worried about onscreen temp displays, nothing I can suggest there.

Louis

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

If you have a second monitor you can connect you can run keep the utility of your choice running and displayed on monitor #2 while running a full screen game or whatever on the main monitor.  I don't know of any that overlay the display on a game, TBH. 

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

If you have a second monitor you can connect you can run keep the utility of your choice running and displayed on monitor #2 while running a full screen game or whatever on the main monitor.  I don't know of any that overlay the display on a game, TBH. 

That's a neat idea! But I there's no spare monitor available as of this moment and the also have an integrated gpu which is an A6 APU.

#6 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

CI6hM4l.png

I'm puzzled right now. I just had the system unit cleaned thoroughly and I also reapply the thermal paste. But as you can see on the screenshot above I still have a very high temperature on my CPU which is somewhat confusing because I just reapply a fresh thermal compound on it.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

The integrated graphics chip temperature looks odd too; unless you are in an igloo, 13 or 6 degrees celsius is unlikely.

I guess the possibilties are that the CPU temperature is real and there is a fitment issue with the heatsink (poor contact, insufficient or too much thermal paste etc.).  I would expect such high temperatures to cause instability, throttling etc.  Or the sensor is giving out garbage readings.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Aberrant

Aberrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:39 AM

I'm pretty sure that the amount of thermal compound that I applied was enough and the contact was cleaned and snap tightly on the socket. But I also suspect that most likely the temperature sensor is giving erroneous readings on the processor. Unfortunately I cannot confirm it through the BIOS because it doesn't have a H/W monitor or heath status on the BIOS itself.

Edited by Aberrant, 19 September 2014 - 01:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users