Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling ports to gain performance?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hello!

I like to disable ports and features T don't use on a computer in order to save resources and gain some performance. But is all that true or do I gain nothing by doing it?

For example, I have a new laptop with a weak built-in webcam (I'm using an external one) and I have it disabled.

Another example, I have an old desktop and have LPT and COM ports disabled, because I don't need them. Do I gain anything by doing that?

What about USB, Firewire, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Audio... devices?

By disablingwhich ones would I gain the most and which ones don't make a change at all?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Anyone, please? :)

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

The performance gains will be minimal, if any.  What disabling items you don't use gains you is security and possible power savings.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

I don't believe you will gain any appreciable difference in performance by doing this.

If you aren't using the items you are considering disabling, then they are not using resources, at least not an appreciable amount if it does at all.

One thing you could do would be to limit the applications running at startup.  You can use Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to disable programs from the startup list.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

Interesting question.  I don't think it will make much if any difference.  Each bit of hardware will no doubt use up some memory, but in the context of a modern system, I would be surprised if any difference was noticeable.  But the best way to confirm is to test with and without with some form of benchmark.  That way it could be measured rather than just speculated upon.

Old PC's had limited resources and limited number of IRQ's (typically 16) which could be freed up for other hardware items by disabling devices (e.g. ports) you didn't need.  Modern PC's do not have this limitation as they have an APIC controller which can handle large numbers of hardware interrupts. IRQ conflicts caused by more than one device trying to access resources at the same time are pretty much consigned to history, thankfully.  They could be the cause of real headaches in the past...

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thank you all for your comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users