Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help diagnose online computer freezing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 docj12

docj12

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Certain websites with embedded video and/or flash are causing my system to freeze. It is hit & miss, but YouTube, ESPN, PayPal, my online brokerage site, and others will load and within the first 5--10 seconds will cause the graphics to hang, forcing a manual restart. Mouse, keyboard, everything freezes.

When the system reboots there is no error message apart from the bootscreen that says Windows did not shut down properly.

Problem started in 7/2013 using Chrome, so I switched to Firefox -- until it began having similar issues; IE behaved likewise. Over the last year I have been using Opera, but the crashes are becoming increasingly frequent (and I'm out of browsers!).

There is a similar issue posted here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/3g-MPkJ188E

(Though I don't have an issue with the increased speaker noise.)

The forum post above concludes that HTML5 videos are causing problems and to disable HTML5 viewing. But this has not seemed to help.

Is this a graphics card problem or a motherboard problem? System is 4 years old.

I've of course applied every software/firmware update to the graphics card, as well as all Java and Adobe software and plugins for all browsers. I now appeal to the bright minds here-

64-bit Win 7

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (driver v.13.251.0.0)

i7 930

Corsair XMS 6GB DDR3

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Chrome 28.0.x (unused in last year...)

Opera 15.0.x

IE 9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

Welcome,

What is your operating system and the installed security software?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 docj12

docj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Dick, I'm running 64-bit Win 7. I have MS Forefront. (For complete transparency, McAfee was running for the first two years but has been uninstalled for the last two.)

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

How did you remove McAfee? If not with their removal tools there may still be bits and pieces of it in places where it can still corrupt the system with another security program installed.

The 'freeze' may be the two security programs fighting over who should evaluate the possible infection. Or one may think that the other is the infection and be trying to remove it.

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#5 docj12

docj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

There are no remnants of McAfee.

I've been under the impression that this is either due to a bad sector in the graphics card since the freezing occurs during the video buffering, or a new script being run by flash players in the various browsers that causes the system to hang. I throw out the MB as a possible culprit since the first two I received from Gigabyte never allowed the initial build (and I've been dubious of the current MB ever since). Why do you think this could be an antivirus problem?

Are there any system logs that might be useful retrieving after an incident? The browsers don't register a crash log and I'd like to find something that can determine if the problem is hardware or software related.

C

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

I mention the security programs because I know that there are conflicts between them. They all perform the same service in slightly different ways but overlap in places where they try to protect.

See if you find anything useful here:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer

If not then I'm going to have to ask one of the other members here with more experience to join in and assist.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 docj12

docj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Going back to the most recent crash, the Event log does not show anything preceding the manual reboot and only an Error/Critical indicating the system shutdown was unexpected.

Possibly unrelated (possibly not?), after the reboot the log shows the corrupted error for an old HDD still plugged into the tower. The drive is unusable and generally disappears from the My Computer after a day or two of on/off sleep. Said drive never had an OS installed, just storage.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Try uninstalling that drive. Odd bits running around in a system can cause all sorts of difficulties.

If the uninstall doesn't keep it off the desktop please pull one of the cables. I usually pull the power cable when I'm testing things.

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

A drive with problems has been known to interfere with Windows functioning normally...the inability to detect the drive after Windows has booted successfully seems as if it woud cause the symptoms you describe (drive diappearances in Windows).

Such can even keep Windows from booting, since Windows may have problems with its hardware detection phases.

I would simply remove that drive from the system.

Louis

#10 docj12

docj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

Guys, thanks for the input. I've removed the drive and will report back in a week or so on whether this resolved the issue.

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

We have a plan

We'll wait for your response

til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#12 docj12

docj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Success. Removing the old drive has resolved the issue.

Videos and webpages loading in all browsers (IE, Chrome, Opera) are functioning as they should.

Thanks for the help!

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Anytime :)

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

#14 docj12

docj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Dear Community, please help.

After 3 weeks of the resolved solution (see above), the online crashing is back with a vengeance: three times in last two days. Each one of these events has occurred on websites that, upon reaching the bottom of an article, a banner slides out suggesting additional pages I might be interested in. The most recent event today was on Dictionary.com (search any word and after scrolling down the page a banner will jump out from the bottom right). This crash occurred using Opera browser. (MODERATOR: I am not convinced that this is still a hardware issue and may be better suited for the software community.)

Upon restart the login time has been greatly perpetuated in these recent few occurrences (approx. 10 min!). Previously it was just a couple of minutes. To my knowledge, I have not made any updates in the past 3 weeks. (There may have been automatic updates with virus defs., but I believe I have everything else requiring my authorization -- Windows updates, etc.)

The images attached show all the errors and warnings from the Event Viewer after the crash through login. No warnings or messages precede the event at 8:56 am.

Attached File  Event 1.gif   111.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Event 2.gif   169.99KB   0 downloads

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

For comparative reasons...try a different browser.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users