Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown phones appearing in network device list

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 olster

olster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hi all-

In the last week I have noticed that a mystery phone has been listed in my network devices list.  It was quite clearly not mine.

I immediately recorded its MAC address and tried (with no luck) to get windows to tell me more.  My Asus router did not list the MAC address as connected to my home wifi.  Googling revealed no useful info.

I did not have a password on my login (stoopid) so I applied one and rebooted.

Today, I noticed a similar phone unknown to me, listed in my laptop network device list.  Again, it is quote clearly not mine.  MacAddressLookup org did not have a listing for the MAC address this time.  Windows was unable to give me the serial number, IP address or phone number in either event.

A fresh full scan with a fully updated Avast found nothing.  Spybot S&D is now running.

Needless to say I am concerned.  I don't know if this is some hack attempt or malware.  Could this be just a couple of random phones trying to connect to anything they see.  This seems to be just my laptop.  I have no evidence to suggest my router was accessed.

Thank you for any help & insights anyone can provide!

Cheers-

Oli

Links to images of network devices list & windows properties of the unknown phones (Samsung & Xiaomi)

Windows 8.0

My laptop connects to my home network via wifi

Bluetooth is disabled.  No LAN connection is present.

My ASUS router AC66U reports no devices attached to my network that I don't recognise.

Phone 1: SAMSUNG_MOBILE

MAC 88:9b:39:0a:20:f8

Phone 2: 2013023   (Manufacturer Xiaomi)

MAC 68:df:dd:55:52:a1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users