Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking at one of these monitors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Katarn1

Katarn1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

I'm looking at some new monitor options. I'm not looking for an expensive monitor, just a replacement over a failing device for one of my rigs.
The monitors I'm interested in are as follows:

Acer 21,5" LED 223HQL , 16:9, DVI, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $110

Acer 21,5" LED 226HQL , 16:9, DVI, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $118

LG 21,5" LED 22EN33S-B , 16:9, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $121

LG 21,5" LED 22M35A-B , 16:9, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $122

These intrigue me as they are brand name, come with a native full HD resolution, 22inch, and a fairly low price.
Now specs aren't always accurate for deciding which monitor is the best in terms of quality and performance. None of these have online user reviews (none that I found), so I thought I'd turn to a place where experienced users could help me make the right choice.

The monitor is needed for 3D work - modelling, texturing, lighting and occasional animations; gaming; reading (e-books, e-comics) and web-surfing. So yes, accuracy, crisp images and smooth motion handling is needed.
Quality is also essential, as I don't want to end up with a rapidly degrading device.

As a benchmark, I'm using the best-performing monitor I've had until now, which is a BENQ E2200HD D-SUB. It is six-seven years old, but I've never had any trouble with it. No malfunctions, no dead pixels, no under-performance. It was about $210 when new and in some specs beats the monitors above.

Would you say the monitors I'm interested in are any good for what I'm looking for? And can any of them outperform the BENQ? I will update the list if I find other suitable options.

And another thing. Can someone explain the difference in performance between DVI and HDMI over VGA?
All the monitors I've had only have a VGA port and was wondering what advantage (if any, other than supported resolutions) have the DVI and HDMI ports over VGA.

Thanks,

Katarn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I am kind of biased towards IPS panel, but for good reason. The color reproduction and viewing angles is better on IPS monitors. This is the 21.5 inch version of the monitor that I use, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205&cm_re=asus_ips-_-24-236-205-_-Product
It costs a little bit more than the ones you have listed, but I have always used Asus for my monitors, and have not been disappointed.

In regards to HDMI vs DVI vs VGA, HDMI ports can carry audio and video, with a max resolution of 3820x2160 (4K); while DVI does not carry audio and has a max resolution of 1920x1080. VGA signals are analog, and not as high quality as the other option. Basically, with a 1080p monitor, use DVI/HDMI, and if the monitor has speakers, you will need HDMI to carry the sounds to it (or audio cable + DVI).

Edited by Aerys, 12 September 2014 - 09:56 AM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Look around Newegg as there are a couple of 24" IPS monitors for <$150 after rebates. If you have the cash.  Can't remember the forum I was reading about them on.  Search away.

EDIT:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160201

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005619

Pay attention to connectors, one has HDMI and no DVI. 

Edited by dpunisher, 12 September 2014 - 02:01 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users