Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft releases Emsisoft Internet Security and some nice deals for getting it

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

We are late on the announcement, but I still wanted to share the news about one of the companies we like here at BleepingComputer.com. On Monday, Emsisoft released Emsisoft Internet Security which combines both Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Online Armor into one product. Users of Emsisoft Internet Security now get the proven security of EAM, but also the protection of a built-in software firewall.

emsisoft-internet-security-suite.jpg

Instead of listing all of its features, which are better described in their blog post, I wanted to put it to a real life test against a new encrypting ransomware (2 days old) that I received a sample of yesterday that I have not had the chance to write about yet.

Once the free trial of Emsisoft Internet Security was installed and I started the free 30 day trial, I launched the installer for this malware. Emsisoft Internet Security quickly detected the launcher when I tried starting it and prevented it from running and encrypting my test files. It should be noted that Emsisoft Anti-Malware would have performed the same way as they share virus definitions.

real-time-protection.jpg

Checking on virustotal, this malware is only being detected by 18/54 AV programs, with Emsisoft being one of them. Among the list of AV vendors that did not detect the same are some pretty big and well known AV vendors.

For malware that creates outgoing connections and did not have a specific malware signature, I couldn't find one from the samples I used that did not get detected by the Behavior blocker protection. When testing the firewall it performed a good job blocking access to the computer from external connections and ports that were opened on the test box were not visible from other computers on the same network. For those who use laptops and are not behind a hardware router, this product will do a good job protecting your computer from remote intrusion.

Along with the release, Emsisoft is giving some deals on how you can get your hands on a copy:

Deal 1
Do you already have licenses for an Emsisoft Internet Security Pack?
Then exchange your Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Online Armor bundle licenses for a new Emsisoft Internet Security license free of charge!
License Exchange link: https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/83/48/how-can-i-switch-from-emsisoft-internet-security-pack-to-emsisoft-internet-security-9

Deal 2
Affordable upgrade for Emsisoft Anti-Malware customers!
Customers may upgrade to Emsisoft Internet Security at any time, when renewing an existing license.
Upgrade Link:http://www.emsisoft.com/en/order/renew/

Deal 3
20% off for new customers!
You can purchase Emsisoft Internet Security for the introductory price of US$ 39.95 instead of US$ 49.95 until the end of September 2014. This equals a discount of about 20%!
New Customer Link: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/order/software/#eis

It should be noted that BleepingComputer is not earning a commission from any of the deals above. We just like Emsisoft and their products!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GT500

GT500

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Colleague
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the post Lawrence.

Just as a note, in case anyone asks, the firewall used in Emsisoft Internet Security is a new firewall, and is not actually the same one used in Online Armor. It will also block some things that Online Armor allows, such as RDP connections from external networks (the Internet). :wink:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

I wish there was localized pricing for the India Region :(

Edited by blueelvis, 12 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

Can emsisoft Internet Security be run with mbam without problems, I am currently using online armor firewall.

I have found twice that online armor needed to be disabled in order to install MS updates.

#6 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

From what I understand, both EAM (and even Emsisoft Internet Security) and MBAM Pro can function concurrently. In regards to Emsisoft, I have had EAM quarantine MS Updates as a false positive twice.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 13 September 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#7 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

I love Emsisoft and have used it as an on demand scanner in the past  , i am currently trying a free 30 day trial of their AV with real time protection and like it a lot .   Unfortunately the thing that has kept me and others i know from staying with it is the price.

At $49.00 there's just no way , even at $39.99 i just can't do it , especially when other top notch AV companies offer major discounts during the year (and especially over the holiday season).

I have bought Kaspersky for $19.99 a year and it's a three PC license for the entire year and tech support has been superb when i do have a question or issue .  I have little doubt that Emsisoft is equal to them or even better but since i have not had any issues when using them and the price is do able to me i typically stay put .

An introductory price of $19.99 or $24.99 at the most and i would jump on the Emsisoft bandwagon but not at $40.00.

#8 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

Is this new antivirus resource hog?

#9 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:58 AM

Is this new antivirus resource hog?

Forgive my lack of understanding. If you are asking if EAM or Emsisoft Internet Security is a resource hog, no, neither one of them hogs system resources.

#10 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Ok,thank you.I was just wondering if the emsisoft internet security was resource hog.It was not your lack of understanding,actually my question was not clear.Sorry for the inconvenience.

#11 GT500

GT500

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Colleague
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

From what I understand, both EAM (and even Emsisoft Internet Security) and MBAM Pro can function concurrently.

That is correct. I keep MBAM Pro installed alongside Emsisoft Internet Security for testing, and they get along just fine. :wink:

In regards to Emsisoft, I have had EAM quarantine MS Updates as a false positive twice.

I assume you reported those false positives?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, and against the worldly governors, the princes of the darkness of this world...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users