Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory recovery failed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hello all!!!  I have a HP laptop with Windows 8 that I could not get to restart, so I did a factory recovery/reset from the recovery partition, and now Windows won't update.  error code 800F0922.  This is the second time this has happened, the first time the error code was different but I can't remember what it was.  When it first went south I had updated/upgraded to 8.1, but it originally came with 8.0.  I am wondering if I can reinstall Windows 8 from a disc?  I did not get a disc nor is the COA anywhere on the laptop, I used Magicjellybean to retrieve it from the 2nd "recovery/reset". 

Thanks!!!!

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hp laptop only come with a recovery Partition. As for a  A COA sticker there is none. Your windows key is in the bios. You can Purchase a recovery disk from Hp. Or you can but a copy of win8.1. But my question to you are you saying your Factory recovery crashed . Or just that windows updates does not work. If it has not crashed and just is the updates won't work. Try running the trouble shooting in the control panel. You should be able to get the updates to work then.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

Windows 8.1 wouldn't start anymore, and the startup repair did not work, so I did a Factory recovery using the recovery partition.  After the recovery which was 8.0 the windows update downloads but then fails with the error codes mentioned above.  The machine came with 8.0 but then I updated/upgraded to 8.1, but when I did the recovery it was 8.0.  I've used the Mr Fix it and that did not work, I stopped BIT and Windows Update service, emptied DataStore and Download in SoftwareDistribution.  I can't find any other help with the error code.

#4 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

UEFI Secure Boot May Cause Windows Updates to Fail With Error Code 0x800F0922 - Tips and Tricks

See if this helps

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Well I did not get a chance to test the UEFI work around as doing the "Trouble Shooting" from the Control panel seems to have worked for me.  Windows updated, slowly but did get it done.  Machine seems to be running fine now. 

THANKS for everyone's input!!

#6 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Good glad to hear this. Your welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users