Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on building new PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm thinking about putting together a new PC. My budget is around $1000 and I'd like to get a mid-range PC that will allow me to do some video editing and gaming.  Here are the parts I've selected so far:

Case - Undecided.  I'd like to get one that is quiet and has good air flow.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V - $140

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570 (not the version that can be overclocked) - $235 - this is a bit pricey and I'm open to alternatives.

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 760 w/ ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 - $270

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz - $90 - RAM seems to be expensive these days.  Is there a better option than this brand?

Hard Drive - WD Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 7200RPM 64MB Hard Drives - $80 - a bit expensive but it has 5 years manufacturers warranty.

Power Supply - Cooler Master i600-series 600W 80Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply  - $70

Optical Drive - LG (WH16NS40) Internal 16x Blu-ray Writer, OEM - $65

I'm looking at around $950 + a case.  I'm also going to price out an AMD build before I make a final decision.  Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Ted Striker, 11 September 2014 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

I am running the K version of the 3570, I found this link awhile back.  You may have already found this if not enjoy!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

Can you post the URL?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Is there any reason for going for the last generation i5 rather than a current one?

There's a few possibilities I put into this which you might want to consider.  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Qdw7Mp

For example, the i5-4590 should basically equal the performance of the i5-3570 but for a little less cash.  It also supports some new CPU instructions which may be relevant in future which Ivy Bridge CPU's lack.

The newer motherboards (like the Asus Z97-C) have features like support for M2 (PCIe) SSD's, should you feel the need to upgrade to a faster system drive in future.

I think the G Skill RAM is quite reasonably priced compared to other options.  RAM in general is not cheap at the moment.

The AMD R9-280 3Gb is excellent on the price:performance front and is strong competition for the GTX 760, and worth considering IMO.  The card I put in the PCPartpicker list is reviewed here.

Cooler Master PSU's can be pretty good but I haven't seen that one reviewed, while I know the XFX 650w I put in the list is a good one, and costs the same after rebate anyway (it's reviewed here).

For the case maybe take a look at the Corsair 330R which is designed as a silenced case with good air flow, and can take any length GPU.  It's a bit pricey, but not outrageous. It's reviewed here.

Edited by jonuk76, 11 September 2014 - 08:04 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570

Oooop's  Sorry!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the info and detailed breakdown, jonuk76.  I'm going to read those reviews and read up on the items you selected when I have a bit more time.

Is there any reason for going for the last generation i5 rather than a current one?

I read a good review a few months ago and I was not aware that there was a better option at that price.  If you were building a system would you go with an AMD or Intel CPU/motherboard?

#7 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

No prob. Thanks!

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

If you were building a system would you go with an AMD or Intel CPU/motherboard?

I used to prefer AMD CPU's when Intel were making the Pentium 3 and Pentium 4.  Back then, AMD had both had the better technology (Pentium 4's were a serious mis-step for them) and better pricing.  It was almost a no brainer for those in the know.

I've swung towards Intel at least where budget is not too restrictive.  I think they just have the better technology at present (ultimately they've got a lot more money to throw into development).  There's no doubt AMD has a price advantage in some cases, and has some niche models (like the APU's) which are useful in some builds.  But where you have a decent budget to play with I'd probably suggest an Intel..

Edited by jonuk76, 11 September 2014 - 09:46 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

With the AMD and Intel CPU choice, for $1000 USD or more PC's, I'd consider Intel, especially for gaming builds.  Below that price point, I usually suggest AMD FX-8000 series CPU's.  For the GPU, the R9 280X would also be good, beyond that, you're looking at the GTX 770.

Don't forget to factor in the operating system into the budget.

3939.png

#10 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

jonuk76, thanks again for your help.  After researching the CPU you suggested, I've decided that this is the one I'm going to buy unless I can find something comparable for $20-$30 cheaper.  But it's definitely a better choice than the one I had selected.  I haven't found any in depth reviews of the Asus Z97-C so I'm still undecided on the motherboard. 

The price for the AMD R9-280 is a sale price.  Regular price is higher than the GTX 760 so depending on when I buy my system (probably in the next month or so) I might stick with the GTX 760. 

I like the case you suggested but I'm still looking for alternatives.  I'm also thinking about switching to the power supply you suggested.  Overall, things are looking much better now.  Do you think I need to buy CPU fans?

With the AMD and Intel CPU choice, for $1000 USD or more PC's, I'd consider Intel, especially for gaming builds.  Below that price point, I usually suggest AMD FX-8000 series CPU's.  For the GPU, the R9 280X would also be good, beyond that, you're looking at the GTX 770.

Don't forget to factor in the operating system into the budget.

My last couple of PC's have been AMD but I think I'll go with Intel this time around.  The GTX 770 is a great card but it's out of my price range.  Yup, I've thought about the operating system too.  The budget I've set is just for parts though.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

The Z97-C and Z97-K boards are slightly cut down and cheaper versions of the Z97-A (which has quite a number of reviews).  There's a comparison facility on Asus website so you can see the feature differences.  I think the main one of note is the Z97-A features Nvidia SLI support, while the cheaper models only support Crossfire.  Asus is generally a good brand though, and Z97 is currently the most fully featured Intel chipset for the Haswell processors.

The Z97-A is reviewed here here here here & here :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 Ted Striker

Ted Striker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thanks. I'm checking out the reviews now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users