Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Cheap External CD-ROM Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ihearthistory

Ihearthistory

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi, I hope that I'm posting this in the correct area on the forum.  If not, could the moderator move this thread to the correct board for me please.

The CD-ROM Drive on my desktop recently bit the dust, and unfortunatly most of my photos, music etc. are all backed up on DVD-R data discs, and not my computer.  I cannot afford a new computer right now, so an external CD-ROM Drive is my only option at the moment.

Can anyone on this forum please recommend the cheapest fix as far as external CD-ROM drives go?  All I need is something that will transfer data (photos, documents, videos, music etc.) from DVD-R to my desktop.  After that I intend to back my files up on an alternative device.  I did see some on Amazon that were under $15, but they were not clear if the drives could tranfer data from DVD-R discs. 

Thank you very much to anyone who may be able to help with my problem. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hi just an idea, it is very easy to replace the one in the machine.  You can find excellent DIY videos on Youtube. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ihearthistory

Ihearthistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, but I'm looking for an external CD ROM drive that will read data off of dvd-r disk, and is in the $15 range. I don't need it to write to disc. Any recommendations on amazon or eBay? Thank, this is driving me bleeping mad.

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

$15 might be kind of low for this, here is an LG one for $25 on newegg; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136265&cm_re=external_dvd_reader-_-27-136-265-_-Product

This one is closer to your price, but I have never heard of the company and don't know what kind of quality it will be; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IP99CRU?psc=1

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Aerys, I looked it up "This one is closer to your price, but I have never heard of the company and don't know what kind of quality it will be; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IP99CRU?psc=1"

thearthistory I do not know what OS you are using and will be using but notice that this unit only supports Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista

Ebay does have plenty of external optical drives but I can't tell which ones would suit you without investigating each one but I suspect there wouldn't be many which wouldn't do what you need to have done

--- Even though you don't need it to write to disc, I wouldn't hold back on buying one at the right price even if it does

--- But I would pay attention to OS support & manufacturer at a minimum

It sounds like you don't need an optical for other than anything else of backing up your photos, music, etc.

Would you consider a USB flash drive?

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Aerys, I looked it up "This one is closer to your price, but I have never heard of the company and don't know what kind of quality it will be; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IP99CRU?psc=1"

thearthistory I do not know what OS you are using and will be using but notice that this unit only supports Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista

Ebay does have plenty of external optical drives but I can't tell which ones would suit you without investigating each one but I suspect there wouldn't be many which wouldn't do what you need to have done

--- Even though you don't need it to write to disc, I wouldn't hold back on buying one at the right price even if it does

--- But I would pay attention to OS support & manufacturer at a minimum

It sounds like you don't need an optical for other than anything else of backing up your photos, music, etc.

Would you consider a USB flash drive?

I would assume that it could still work fine on Win7/8, but we all know what happens when you assume...

I strongly recommend the $25 LG one, bought 100 of them for a school system and had no complaints, especially since they have Windows and Mac support.

Edited by Aerys, 17 September 2014 - 04:41 PM.

-Jaime Lannister

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

"I strongly recommend the $25 LG one, bought 100 of them for a school system and had no complaints, especially since they have Windows and Mac support"

Yes. There's no concern about the reliability of the manufacturer

#8 Ihearthistory

Ihearthistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The LG looks like the best bet. I just have one quick ?? I have an older OS. Will it work on windows XP?

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

I have an older LG Slim that has been plugged into a myriad of machines with just about every MS OS it should be just fine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Ihearthistory

Ihearthistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Thanks oldphil. Looks like I'll b going with the lg. I take it newegg is reputable buissiness? $24 seems almost too good to be true compared to other stores online.

#11 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

Newegg is certainly reputable, I have bought hundreds of items never had issues.

-Jaime Lannister

#12 Ihearthistory

Ihearthistory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Newegg is certainly reputable, I have bought hundreds of items never had issues.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help guys.  Ordered from Newegg.com  Free shipping, and 2 day delivery.  The drive works great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users