Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS RECOVERY DISC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BGrahamcolber

BGrahamcolber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thx for any help you can give me. (Btw, I'm a preschooler in computer literacy so be prepared.) A little over year ago I bought a Asus K53E laptop & have been using windows 7 on it with no problem. Couple weeks ago it suddenly locked up with a weird FBI you're a criminal alert, rendering it unusable. My husband took it to geek squad where they told them it had crashed & would require a new hard drive. (Yup, just missed the one year warranty. Have no idea why we didn't buy extended. So stupid). Telling my husband he'd have to buy a new HD, geek said they had a 3 week turn around & that another Best buy could get us thru sooner. Before sending my husband home: they saw that we had 4 discs in our laptop bag (discs home-spun by BB; they gave when we purchased the computer) labeled 'Asus recovery'' (1/4, 2/4, etc) & said all we'd need was a new HD. Next day, I took laptop to the other BB. They asked if I had intel recovery, & were surprised that the other BB hadn't said that we'd also need that. I pointed at the discs & he said that wasn't what we needed & to call Asus & have them send ($50) the correct recover disc for the model. QUESTION: BEFORE I do that: why would the 4 'Asus recovery' discs that came w the computer Not be what is needed? The geek squad guy seemed pretty certain I didn't have what was needed (& he works at BB so you'd think he'd know I was given those discs when I bought the computer). The 1st BB guy, tho, said all we needed was to purchase a new HD. THX SO MUCH for any help on this!

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2014 - 05:24 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I never heard of a intel recovery unless they were talking about a driver disk but it seems to me that the 4 DVD's would work to bring the computer back to a factory condition. The computer also can be factory reset using the Recovery Partition on the Hard drive if it is intact. The FBI alert can probably be removed using anti-malware software.

Is there any data on the drive that needs to be recovered?

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Couple weeks ago it suddenly locked up with a weird FBI you're a criminal alert, rendering it unusable. My husband took it to geek squad where they told them it had crashed & would require a new hard drive.

Sounds like a case of ransomware and once it has been removed the PC should be fine. I doubt you need a new Hard Drive.

Post has been reported so it can be moved to the right section ( was In Windows and Internal Hardware) ( Both wrong sections) and someone can help you remove the ransomware first. Then see about the rest.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 September 2014 - 07:12 PM.
Moved to AII at NickAu's request

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

The question is...do you have a new hard drive, did you purchase one?

If you have a new hard drive...whatever took place on the old one is immaterial provided you have working recovery disks.

Louis

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hello you can try this guide to remove the FBI malware.

Or you can start a topic HERE and have our experts remove it. Note you may wait 3 - 5 days, we are busy.

Third is to reinstall the system with your disks.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users