Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now What?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 help me plz2

help me plz2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

Yesterday I was surfing around and hit a bad website that imediatly started messing with my computer. I got the whole black screen thing popping up, the text on the desktop about being infected with spyware. Immediatly I started working on getting it off there with windows defender etc. Then I came home last night and worked on it until about 3AM by running all kinds of different things (Ad-Aware SE, S & D, Ewido, Panda online scan, F-something online scan etc). I am still working on it and following some instructions from someone looking at my hijackthis log. I have found in my searches things like alfacleaner, smitfraud (4 things there), teslaplus, winanti something or something (can't remeber right now). Anyway. Here is my main concern. My computer has on it all the records of all our employees, bank account numbers, SS numbers, tax returns ect. Considering that I have not opened any of these programs or anything else since this happened, what are the odds that data had been compromised. I mean, what do these spyware, malware, viruses etc, do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hopefully you have your resident firewall turned on and have reviewed the settings to prevent unwanted outward information from being sent out. Really sensitive information should never be stored on your computer, but rather always on a disk that is in a secure locaton.
Not knowing precisely everything that has infected your computer, I cannot provide much reassurance, except to note that most adware is, unlike viruses, slightly more benign. You could certainly ask whoever is helping you with your HJT log for details about the ability of the malware found to what has been found to compromise sensitive data.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 07 June 2006 - 12:57 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users