Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

any way to it,s a virus before you download

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

( example ) Say if your downloading from a freeware site a program, is there any way to know if it has a virus before downloading it? Long ago I went to a freeware site, as soon as I clicked on that site to look around. It started downloading something, I reached up and shut the computer off. I was fine, but I suspect it was some sort of virus. No doubt freeware sites are trouble. Thank,s Chuck

Iam sorry on the post title I meant ( is there anyway to know if your download is virus free before you download it?

Can you edit the post title?

Edited by Chuck racer, 11 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Chuck,

Knowing the plot and conclusion of the story before opening the book is a bit hard to do for most folks.

Switching to one of the free DNS servers to one that provides protection is a step in the right direction. Keeping a good active scanner current, and used regularly, is another, using an on demand scanner as a compliment helps as well.

I use Norton DNS [free] which has three levels of protection. The highest level won't even let you read the menu of any place that serves adult beverages. There are many others so shop around for the one that suits your needs

Hope this helps

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

Only way is to get it from a known trusted Freeware site, like Filehippo, I dislike Cnet recently because of the new installer throwing unwanted software down the throat.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

I think what we're saying is - short answer "NO" longer answer - with a good security suite installed and current, an actively engaged chair keyboard interface and using only trusted sites, trusted by others before you try to trust them, you have the best chance of downloading infection free software. Most of the better trusted sites will not hand you off to a third party utility to 'manage' the download. These utilities usually provide 'additional' utilities, programs and PUPs that will open gaps in your protection.

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

First of all, you did the right thing.

A hard kill can save the day when you get caught with your pants down.

There is only one person you can trust in this world, yourself, so you learn how to never install a virus, even if it got downloaded.

That's all there is to it.

None of my computers that I own use AV programs and a few clients who I have shown how to 'do it", also run without AV.

It's not exactly complicated.

It's similar to when you're a kid and you learn to look both ways before crossing the street. It's that simple.

You never accept the "express installs, you watch every detail during an installation and you can even check in the control panel when your through, to see if anything else, sneakily got installed.

Someone like you who is sharp enough to have hard killed your puter in that situation, should have no worries.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:06 AM

First of all, you did the right thing.

A hard kill can save the day when you get caught with your pants down.

There is only one person you can trust in this world, yourself, so you learn how to never install a virus, even if it got downloaded.

That's all there is to it.

None of my computers that I own use AV programs and a few clients who I have shown how to 'do it", also run without AV.

It's not exactly complicated.

It's similar to when you're a kid and you learn to look both ways before crossing the street. It's that simple.

You never accept the "express installs, you watch every detail during an installation and you can even check in the control panel when your through, to see if anything else, sneakily got installed.

Someone like you who is sharp enough to have hard killed your puter in that situation, should have no worries.

All you say makes good sense to me. I got Windows Defender AV. I didn't really think there was a way to check for a virus before downloading. But I thought I would ask. My computer skills are just average. I never download much only my Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes anti root kit ( beta ) Adwcleaner from here, that's about it. No games or anything like that, I went right to there home page for downloads, I never will download from a 2nd or 3rd site. I really don't trust doing it that way. As far as a freeware site, I only go to Snap Files, thay seem to be good. I do think you need to use common sense. I need to ask, how did you all get so much computer knowledge? You people allways are helpful. Thanks, Chuck

#7 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

( example ) Say if your downloading from a freeware site a program, is there any way to know if it has a virus before downloading it? Long ago I went to a freeware site, as soon as I clicked on that site to look around. It started downloading something, I reached up and shut the computer off. I was fine, but I suspect it was some sort of virus. No doubt freeware sites are trouble. Thank,s Chuck

Iam sorry on the post title I meant ( is there anyway to know if your download is virus free before you download it?

Can you edit the post title?

This is solved

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Smart takes time, learning and experience. I started with a TIPC back in 19xx and learned a lot by crashing my system and having to rebuild it. I learned more by doing software beta testing [more crashes, more rebuilds] I also spent five years as a bench technician building, configuring and repairing laptops, desktops and servers. A little time as a network administrator and some time as a help desk technician bring us up to about 20xx. Since then I've spent most of my time reading, learning and trying to help here and other places where I feel comfortable.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

#9 Hippygator

Hippygator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Only way is to get it from a known trusted Freeware site, like Filehippo, I dislike Cnet recently because of the new installer throwing unwanted software down the throat.

Yes I dislike CNet for the same reason. It downloaded the Conduit virus along with some program download and it established itself at the speed of light! Had a heck of a time getting all out which entailed a lot of registry searching.

Edited by Hippygator, 14 September 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#10 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Yes I dislike CNet for the same reason. It downloaded the Conduit virus along with some program download and it established itself at the speed of light! Had a heck of a time getting all out which entailed a lot of registry searching.

Iam with you there, I hate Cnet. The download with program on Cnet, has a lot of crapwear bundled with any download at Cnet. I wont go to Cnet ever.

My old laptop wich I don't have anymore, iam on WIFI at a nursing home due to stroke. Anyway I sent it to a computer place to be fixed, to this day I cant imagine them doing this. It wouldn't connect WIFI at all. So being my computer skills are about average. I said whatever it takes fix it. Thay said it had a virus, maybe so. It showed my scan had nothing. I have Malwarebytes, to me that's great.

$195.00 later, much slower computer, scrubed all my free programs off the desktop, all was replaced with free trial vesions, man was I hot. The worst part is saying I had a virus, maybe, but I really doubt. Thay installed Conduit Search And Protect, that's so stupid. So I spent about a week fixing it all, removing all Conduit and replacing all trial junk with free edition. I sent that computer shop a very crappy email. I never got a response, I didn't think I would. Adwcleaner, will remove  all Conduit. Thanks, Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users