Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore registry from non booting computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acedrums

acedrums

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Can I restore the registry from a non booting computer with a live CD, and how would I do that? Also is the BootMed live CD a good option to use?

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

If I can assume you are running Win 7 because that is the forum you posted in, then yes, you can use a live disc to repair your OS. However the best one by far to use is a Windows Install disc as this will allow you to do a repair install which will restore your registry, among other things, normally without affecting your applications or data.

If you have access to another computer, you can download a legal copy of your version of Windows from Digital River and use your COA to authenticate, links here -

Windows 7 Home Premium (x86) - 32 bit

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) - 64 bit

Windows 7 Professional (x86) - 32 bit

Windows 7 Professional (x64) - 64 bit

Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)* - 32 bit

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)* - 64 bit

The disc downloads as an ISO type file and you will need ImageBurn - or similar - to convert the downloaded file to a usable install disc. You can get Image Burn, a free download, from www.ImgBurn.com.

This is probably your best chance to restore your computer without affecting your data. Alternatively, and the route I would go, you could download a copy of the live Puppy Linux CD - also an ISO file download - and use that to transfer your data to an external drive before trying to repair Windows. I believe strongly in backing up data before doing major repairs whenever possible !  You can get Puppy, along with instructions for using it, from here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Alternatively, if you have a restore partition on your computer you could use this to reset it back to an 'ex-works' condition but this would mean losing your data (unless you use something like Puppy to back it up first) and having to re-install all your applications. Your manual will tell you how to do the restore, and if you don't have a copy you can probably download one from the manufacturer's web-site.

A quick look at the BootMed web-site suggest it is capable of restoring the registry in XP, but makes no claims for other versions of Windows.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

Can I restore the registry from a non booting computer with a live CD, and how would I do that? Also is the BootMed live CD a good option to use?

Thank You.

In my opinion the safer way to do it is to access the System Recovery Options (instructions how to access here)

Windows_Vista_System_Recovery.png

And try to use System Restore to restore the system to a date before the problem start.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

SleepyDude is absolutely right - if you can get your computer to start in 'Safe mode'.

If you can get into safe mode, then go his way. If you can't - and your OP isn't clear on this - then you are going to have to try it my way. One thing is sure, trying it via 'Safe mode' will be quicker than creating bootable discs, if it works.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users