Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Small Screen Display Problems, Please!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 WillF

WillF

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

I recently reformatted the hard drive on my Inspiron 8200 and did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. Before installing the video drivers, scrolling up and down web pages was very choppy. After installing the NVIDIA GeoForce2 2GO driver, my web page scrolling has smoothed, but now my screen displays very small icons and font. The entire screen is in use, but everything on the screen is very small. I attempted to adjust the resolution from the current 1600 by 1200, but the display is fuzzy and I get a message prompting me to use the 1600 by 1200 resolution for the sharpest display. I have spoken with Dell support. They asked me to do the reformat, which obviously did not help. I am at a dead end now. I would really appreciate any assistance or suggestions. I am no expert, but I have tried everything that I know to try. Please help if possible! THANK YOU!

Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

Hi Willf

After installing the NVIDIA GeoForce2 2GO driver

According to Dell's website, the Inspiron 8200 should use the NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go driver.
The specs are here
The drivers are here. (top one, not bios)
I'd start there and see what happens.
You can always adjust the size of desktop icons seperately but your display shouldn't be fuzzy.

#3 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thank you for your response, HitSquad, but I actually tried that driver as well. It yielded the same results. I'm a little concerned at this point.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:28 AM

I'm a little concerned at this point.

I wouldn't be overly concerned "yet" :thumbsup:
When you formatted your drive you lost your chipset drivers, did you re-install them yet?
If you haven't, that's a must do.
If it doesn't help you out, install the 440 go video bios update. I'm sure you know that the 440 go drivers must be installed first.
These downloads are here.
If we still have an issue, we'll go from there but this stuff needs to be done as part of the diagnostic proccess.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 June 2006 - 11:03 AM.

#5 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:39 AM

Thanks so much for your continued assistance, HitSquad. One question I have...how do I know which display device to download and install? There must be 25 to 30 shown on the Dell driver download site for the Inspiron 8200. Sorry that I am a bit of an amateur, but I have spent hours and hours trying to resolve this issue but have not been able to make any progress. Thanks again for your help!

Will

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

Don't worry about the display drivers.
Those are for external desktop monitors that may be connected to your laptop.
I edited my post a little late I guess. :thumbsup:

#7 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

I installed the chipset and the BIOS for the video driver, but the problem still exists. I am hoping that this doesn't turn into a very expensive fix. Let me know if you have any other suggestions, HitSquad. Thanks once again.

Will

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

Check your display settings within the display applet. Mainly DPI, which should be 96 and refresh rate settings, which should be 60 Hertz. If those are correct then take the resolution settings down a notch, Ignore the warning and choose to not restart if prompted.
You're sure this notebook came with the Nvidia adapter and not ATI, correct? (comes both ways)
I didn't want to have to ask that but...............well, you know. :thumbsup:
Also, is that baby equipped with the sxga, uxga or enhanced uxga display screen?
The resolutions are very different and we want to make sure.
If you're not sure or don't have the manual handy, plug in the service tag number here.
It'll give you your original system configuration.

Edited by HitSquad, 08 June 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#9 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

HitSquad,
The DPI and refresh rate settings are fine. The notebook did indeed come with the NVidia adapter. I have the UXGA display screen. I feel like I'm not giving you much help here as you try to solve my problem. I appreciate your willingness to assist me.

Will

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

It's not a problem.
Did you lower your resolution yet to see if there was any improvement?

#11 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

No improvement, unfortunately. I am still prompted to leave the resolution at 1600 by 1200 and the display still gets fuzzy.

#12 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

Okay Willf.
Do you have a desktop monitor you can hook up to your notebook?
If so, before you do, make sure the desktop monitor will support the display resolutions currently set in your laptop. If it doesn't you'll either get a black screen or an out of range message. I know you already know how to check that.

#13 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

HitSquad,
I attached a Dell E770 (I think that is the correct model) monitor to my laptop and it was clear at any resolution. I could enlarge it or shrink it without having any problems.

Will

#14 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:27 AM

That's exactly what it's supposed to do, it's using a different controller.
There's something I'm not real clear on so help me out. :thumbsup:
Did you originally do the reformat to resolve this issue or did it occur afterwards?

#15 WillF

WillF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:32 AM

I did the reformat to try and resolve the problem. I was instructed to do so by the tech support person that I purchased the laptop from. I got the feeling that they didn't know where else to turn so they simply asked me to reformat in hopes that it would fix the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users