Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 8 help cant connect to router

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wachumba

wachumba

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

This seems to be a common problem in Windows 8.

Type Regedit in the Search Box. Right click > Run as Administrator.

Browse to this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26

Right click the 26 subkey, select Permissions and give full control to Everyone or Administrator. Press Okay

Type CMD in the search box Right click > Run as Administrator.

type

netsh int ip reset

Reboot

bought new asus router recently. have 3 laptops and a desktop hooked up no issues. bought lenova yoga211 laptop with window 8 and it says limited connectivity. worked fine for a while, then turned off for no reason and when it booted back up it won't connect to my router.

itll connect to other routers but not mine. did factory restore worked until i turned computer off and now it doesnt work anymore. 

tried the above to see if it would fix things and everything failed. any suggestions? tried calling bestbuy/lenova and they all want 99$ to troubleshoot the issue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hi,

Do you have security enabled on the router as well as a username and password for gaining access to it?

What steps did you take with the new computer to connect it to the router?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

i have a password on the router. 

it recognized my network and i typed in the password. i just set the router up recently i didn't put any special restrictions on who can connect. anyone with wifi can see it broadcasted and anyone with the password can connect. 

guy from best buy mentioned something about downloading new drivers on one computer that works and installing them on new computer but he'd have to charge me

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

Is there an installation disk for the router?

When you type in the IP address of the router can you connect?

How does your laptop get its IP address? It should be set to automatic/dynamic so that the router can provide it. If you want it to be a fixed address then you will have to tell the router what it is so that the router will allow access.

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#5 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

yes I have an installation disc
uhh I can connect to the router but I think I created a username and password which I forgot so I'm thinking I'm gonna just wipe the router clean and start over

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

We have a plan

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#7 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

reset router to factory settings with laptop that wouldnt connect and it seems to be working. 

tried to update firmware on router and got this message on 2 different computers

The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates.

#8 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

went to asus website to find 10 different firmware versions http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-AC66R&p=11&s=2&os=30&hashedid=rTIld6Xz0olpp3jJ

common sense says download the one with the biggest version number but wth why is there so many options

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

Are all of the versions for your model? I suspect that Asus has more than one router for sale. And, I suspect that each of them has some difference which might make a different version of the update required. Be sure to match your model with the update or we may have more problems to solve.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

I selected my router from a drop down menu. that page has 10 different versions of firmware updates and each one has 3 different servers to download them from

#11 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

can somebody look at the link in my prev post and tell me which firmware to download

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

I'd go with the latest listed version for the firmware

Keep us posted

Dick E